• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workspace (control bar) keeps disappearing in InDesign 2020 just like in 2019

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workspace (control bar) keeps disappearing in InDesign 2020 just like in 2019,  WHY???  Got it cleared up in 2019 but can't in 2020.  Help please

TOPICS
Performance , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you pressing the Tab key? That will toggle the Control panel (and the other panels) off and back on.

~Barb

example.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope.  If I press the Tab key the rest of the workspace disappears too.  Every time I close an InDesign file half of my saved Workspace ( the control panel) closes also. The same thing happened in InDesign 2019 but was fixed by turning off the Application Frame. Have done this in 2020 but to no avail.  I have to change to a default workspace then go in and reset it back to my saved Workspace EVERYTIME  I open a new file. 

Gigi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too!  So frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening in ID 2022!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gigi:

Have you ever build your cache/preferences? InDesign defaults to copying preferences from old versions to the newer ones, so the issue may have carried forward with the 2020 installation. I'm on a Mac and haven't ever experienced this issue.

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try that Barb. I also am on a Mac (Mac user since they first came out in 84) that's all I ever use. Does it on my 27" iMac at work and my MacBook Air at home.   It was totally cleared up in Indd 2019 by closing the application frame and I hadn't had the problem for months until I upgraded to the lastest CC last week. Now it's back but different. In 2019 I could clear it by just hitting Reset my workspace also.  That no longer works in 2020. I have to open another workspace and then go back to mine.  On Goggling the problem I've actually seen many Apple users with the same problem.  At least before there was a fix for it.  

I'll try rebuilding the preferences. 

Thanks,

Gigi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know if rebuilding the preferences/cache works. I don't recall seeing this mentioned on the InDesign forum before, but it does sound like it is worth logging a bug report here: https://indesign.uservoice.com/.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will. 

Interesting comment that you have never seen this mentioned before on the forum as if you look below at "Related Conversations", 2nd one down, " indesign workspaces have disappeared" YOU actually replied to that person on July 5, 2018 about the same problem with INDD 2018-19. And as I said I had the same problem in my previous version but was able to correct it. 

Thanks, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This problem still occurs in the last version of InDesign (19.2) on OSX. After many years, I have understood where is the bug: the control bar disappears as soon as you close your documents and it displays the "Home screen".
The solution is to deactivate it.
Go to "Preferences" > "General" > "Show Home Screen When No Documents Are Open".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines