• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workspace resets to basic each time I open

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating to 2021 over a month ago, my workspace keeps resetting.  When I open a file, sometimes it opens with my default, chosen workspace.  Sometimes, however, it opens with no toolbars showing and I have to manually go to Window --> Workspace --> Default.  (Default is the name of the workspace I created with my workspace set as I want it.)  How do I set it so that my chosen workspace is the workspace that always opens?  It's so frustrating to have to open it up nearly every time I open a file because it's not defaulting to that workspace!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind sharing version of the OS & InDesign? Have you tried resetting preferences of the app? If not, please try doing that by following steps below:

For Windows 

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to Locations : 
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe  
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Adobe. 
  •  Rename InDesign folders to InDesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from CC. 

For MAC  

• Close all adobe applications 
  • Go to Locations:  
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.indesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from the CC 

***Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and InDesign will recreate new folders with default settings.  

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have tried that.  It still is not working consistently.

I am using Windows 10, with InDesign 2021, v16.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for letting us know. Does updating your app to the latest version(v16.4) help?
If not, please try the steps suggested on this community post & see if they help. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this problem (in the post here https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-16-4-breaks-workspace/m-p/12370495)

No fix that has been recommended has worked yet.  I've got a brand new laptop with a fresh copy of InDesign (version 16.4) and this keeps happening to me.  It's driving me bonkers 😞 

If I open InDesign first and THEN open a file, it will work for me.  But if InDesign is not opened first, and instead I directly open a file (prompting it to open InDesign and then open the file) the workspace won't properly load. I've tried everything and I just can't understand why this is happeneing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing. I would request you to share a few more details like: 

• Operating System
  • Does this happen with old documents only or all?
  • Where are you saving the files (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)?
  • Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, plugins, or web extensions installed recently.
  • A small video demonstrating the issue could be really helpful.

Also, I would suggest you try the following steps:

• Close all Adobe applications and manually reset preferences by renaming the folders from the following locations:
    Windows:
    C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe
    C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Adobe
    MAC:
    ~/Library/Caches
    ~/Library/Preferences
    Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.InDesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.InDesign.old and
    launch InDesign from the Creative Cloud app
  • Rename the CEP folder to CEP.old from the following location:
    MAC: /Library/Application Support/Adobe
    Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe
  • If that doesn't help, rename the UXP folder to UXP.old in the following locations:
    MAC: /Library/Application Support/Adobe
    MAC: ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe
    Windows: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\
    Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe
  • If that doesn't help either, uninstall the application using the CC Cleaner tool and reinstall from the Creative Cloud Desktop app.

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has just started since the most recent upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about that. I would like to know if you have tried the steps suggested above? If it doesn't help, please share the details as asked by me. I'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting this problem too. I have followed all these steps and problem still persists. 

• Operating system: MacOS Monterey 12.2 (iMac)
  • It happens to all documents
  • I save files to the system HDD (Dropbox area) but same problem when same file is outside Dropbox area.
  • Only OS upgrades but it has always happened in the latest version of InDesign.
  • Here's a video to demostrate the problem https://www.loom.com/share/c1bcc1a85cdd42f188a26857c6df4cbf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My trick is:

- Go to C:\Users\Thang\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version 17.0\en_US\Workspaces

- Delete Indesign default workspace (Essentials_CurrentWorkspace)

- Rename "your workspace you created" to "indesign default workspace".

Ex: My workspace's name "thang", after deleting "Essentials_CurrentWorkspace" I change "thang" to "Essentials_CurrentWorkspace"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, how I would I do this on Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Worked like charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not an error condition, but a "feature." Opening an InDesign file directly from its location will open in a "Preview" mode. If the InDesign app is open first, then the file, all will open in "Edit" mode. At least that's how Customer Service explained it to me, after 2 hours of support, program cleaning, and fresh re-install (ugh). It's a very pointless feature in my opinion, and one that is not present in Illustrator. Adobe, can we have the option do de-activeate this condition, or just get rid of it all together? I mean, what is the point of "View" mode? I only open InDesign files to do actual work (edit).

InDesign 17.4 x64

Windows 10 Pro x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Customer service has no idea what they are talking about. InDesign files always open as editable files, whether the app is previously open or not.

Preview mode is a display option that hides non-printing elem,ents and gives you a betrter idea of how your file will output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is odd because I am experiencing the same issue and I have followed all the steps that @gp432 did so maybe it is a bug in the 17.0+ udpate that is occurring for some users (I did not have this issue at any point with InDesign 16).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AARGH. I have been fighting with this same issue for the last two months. Every Adobe CC app is randomly doing this. Sometimes, I'll open Photoshop (for example) and my workspace panels are all there. But usually they are completely gone. Same for InDesign and Illustrator. I've deleted prefrences, uninstalled/reinstalled, removed plugins, rebuilt my workspace...nothing. This is getting frustrating. I even installed an entirely new user with a fresh install and it's doing it there. I'm on a 2019 16" Macbook Pro with plenty of memory and a maxed out graphics card option. I have scoured the Googles and the Adobes to no avail. Anyone find a solution? My head hurts from banging it against my desk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel you bro, I still have this issue 18 months later!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AARGH! That's the worst. Sorry this has been happening to you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@timothyb11207482 

it looks like you experience this known issue:

https://forums.adobeprerelease.com/indesign/discussion/2236/panels-dont-appear-when-opening-indesign...

the easiest solution is to select a different Workspace, then switch back to your desired Workspace. it should restore the panels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that recommendation. Yeah, it's every app, completely random happenings. I usually go to my workspace menu and tell it to reset and everyting comes back. However, it's so random. I do have an external LG display, but I have experienced this behavior when I've been on the go and just on the laptop display. Only started doing this after doing one of the more recent updates. I'm perplexed. It has to be some kind of bug that I hope they fix sooner than later. It's not earth-shattering, but it a very huge annoyance and disruptive enough that I almost cry. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This definitely doesn't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this problem for about 3 YEARS now. No matter what computer I'm using, or how many updates to the Adobe apps are done... this is an ongoing and VER FRUSTRATING PROBLEM.

FIX IT, ADOBE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines