Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wrong X,Y values for Texts

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I'm using indesign sdk 16, If I try to get X,Y positions using GetXPosition() and GetYPosition()/GetCompositionYPosition().

Sometimes I get bad values if I use the indd project file, these values are far better if I use the idml project file instead.
Does anyone have any idea about this problem and how to actually fix it?

Is the indd broken? 

Sometimes even if I use the idml the result is very bad.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Import and export , Scripting , SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Amine9, I use the scripting API, not the SDK, so I can't answer, but it might be helpful if you could include a test file in which you can demonstrate and reproduce the erroneous results. There might be reasons why different values are given—eg. differing coordinate spaces, or, I don't know, auto-sizing context. A demo file might help a lot.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mark, 

Thanks for the quick response, I'm not sure if I'm able to share a code snippet, will check and get back to you.

I don't think it's a scaling problem, because the X,Y values I received are all negative.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

If you use functions such as GetPathBoundingBox() then these X values are with respect to the left side of the pasteboard. So, to these values, you need to add the page width (facing pages documents) or a half page width (non-facing pages).

Note that if the document is re-sized, the pasteboard is not also re-sized, and the X position functions fail. If your code uses the getting and setting of the X position of objects, then make sure that documents are not re-sized.

Very best regards,

Olivier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Composition is a time intensive, therefor damage is immediately recorded but recompose is a deferred task.

Before accessing results ensure the composer has completed. Watch out for interfaces and methods with "Recompose" in their name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello guys,

I'd like to add a detail that can help debug this issue; If I duplicate the page that has this problem, the issue doesn't appear in the duplicated page and all values X and Y are 100% correct.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines