• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Zombie tab in pasted text

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pasting unformated text and it comes in with a funny tab character that doesn't behave like a normal one. When I key in text, the tabs work correctly. But when pasting in, they come with this zombie tab that makes the alignments wrong, and the zombie tab can't be deleted. I tried first pasting the text into Microsoft Notepad to launder it, then paste it, but same problem. I tried copying it from the same InDesign document and Paste Without Formatting, but no joy. It seems like there's an invisible control character that is rendered with the tab symbol, but it's not a regular tab. Here's an annotated screenshot:

Zombie tab problem in InDesign.png

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

I think that those tabs are actually functioning as designed. The ones in your screenshot are right-indented tabs, and if you look at the line with <tab>0 3 2159, you'd expect the right hand side of the 0 3 2159 bit to line up with the first tab. Since the "0 3 2159" is long enough to extend past its tab stop, it just obeys the first right align tab stop to the right of the end of the text block.  

stop.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Left-justified tabs work correctly with pasted text. But center- and right-justified tabs don't work right with pasted text. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you work with Paragraph Styles?

What happens when you delete all spaces before and after a tabulator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that those tabs are actually functioning as designed. The ones in your screenshot are right-indented tabs, and if you look at the line with <tab>0 3 2159, you'd expect the right hand side of the 0 3 2159 bit to line up with the first tab. Since the "0 3 2159" is long enough to extend past its tab stop, it just obeys the first right align tab stop to the right of the end of the text block.  

stop.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Joel,

Thank you so much! My brain just doesn't seem to have a tab processor. This is a breakthrough discovery for me.

Thanks again!!
Bernard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines