• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[0 1] Font issue

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most(but not all) of my inDesign files that I created in 15.1.3 that I'm now trying to edit in 16.0.1 are not loading my "ITC Avant Garde Gothic MM" font.

In the Character Panel, the font shows "ITC Avant Garde Gothic MM" but in the font style field it shows "[0 1]". I'm working with a lot of Character and Paragraph styles and this problem is throughout all of them.

What does this mean? How do I get the fonts back to how they are suppose to be?

The fonts are validated and I have them in the inDesign app font folder as well.

I'm working in OSX 10.15.7 in inDesign 16.0.1

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the font has become damaged.

Does it work in other applications?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would be the fix for a damaged font?

More info: 

In the previous version of inDesign "ITC Avant Garde Gothic MM" came up with styles including:

82 XL 450 CN

82 XL 750 CN

300 LT 750 NO

325 LT 450 CN

455 RG 450 CN

Regular

etc...

The "300 LT 750 NO" is the one that was selected in the older version of inDesign. In the latest version it show [0 1] selected and under the drop down menu there is only the option for "Regular". It appears the rest of the styles for the font are missing in the latest version of inDesign.

All of these can also be seen in mac Font Book. If it helps at all the type of font is "Post Script Type 1"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're probably running into problems because your fonts are incredibly OLD! They are Multiple Master fonts which were first designed in 1992!

They probably will not work reliably using today's application and system versions. They should be replaced. Here is an Adobe document about how to have a match in modern OpenType fonts:

https://www.adobe.com/products/type/opentype/opentype-mm.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may be caught in a version loop due to Adobe's two different attempts at Multi-Master Fonts.

In the 1990s, Adobe first set up a scheme to create custom styles of fonts/cuts/individual styles within typefaces using technologies based on the current digital font technology of the time, or Postscript Type 1 fonts. While working with multi-master Type 1 fonts had their issues — cross-platform conflicts, the need to package/distribute not only the font master but each custom cut of the MM font used between users to get the same results, etc. — the function worked for people who were willing to make the effort to play with them.

Until recently. Adobe came up with a solution for dealing with the cross-platform limitations of Postscript Type 1 fonts roughly 20 years ago when OpenType fonts were created. The company didn't obsolete Postscript Type 1 fonts, per se (though that's coming real soon as Adobe plans to drop support for PS Type 1 fonts in 2021), but Adobe has been working hard to incorporate, supercede and extend capabilities and features of PS Type 1 fonts inside the later OpenType standard. Including, over the last year or so, the multimaster capabilities.

InDesign CC v16.x incorporates the new MultiMaster capabilities of OpenType fonts. You may find you need to recreate your MM cuts with ITC Avant Garde Std MM and set your old Type 1 ITC Avant Garde MM cuts aside. It stinks that you've discovered it today, but for what it's worth doing the work to create those OpenType MM cuts today will serve you well in the near-immediate future as the ability to work with PS Type 1 fonts essentially deprecate for more and more use cases in the near-immediate future.

You can read more about this here, provided you're willing to read between the lines.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to follow up — are you past your issues? Or do you still need help?

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the responses. It looks like it would be best to just replace the old MM font.

Unfortunately they are sprinkled throughout several different Paragraph and Charter styles applied in a 300+ page book. I will need to reset all my styles and then hopefully just sync up all the pages of the book.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Changing with the technology can be hard but you'll always bump up to it because the world (and technology in particular) are always changing. Good luck on your transition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines