Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

16. June, Today updates: Program closes immediately and does not create a PDF

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I do templates on Adobe Stock and I have the original Creative Cloud package with all the apps i got as a gift from Adobe.

Today I had a notification that I need to update the programs and I did, but now when I create a PDF in InDesign (File> Export), the program closes immediately and does not create a PDF for me.

I tried at least 10 times and always the same.
Then I restart my computer, but still the same problem.

The client is waiting for his PDF, and I have had this problem since I updated the program, half an hour ago. Do you know what this is about?

Thanks,
Boris

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Dear Sheena, thank you very much for your reply.

In the meantime, I had an update of my Adobe applications again and now everything is working properly.

All the best,
Boris

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same problem on my computer.

Is impossible to create PDF from files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both of you need to provide some information about your operating system. I've been using InDesign 2020 15.1 (the latest update) on my Macintosh macOS 10.15.5 with no problems creating PDF files. What happens exactly when you try to create a PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using windows 10 pro ver. 1909 build 18363.836, and Indesign 15.1 x64.

The problem rise when you try to export in PDF.

The system start to work but the application crash at 16% of the export.

The problem seems connected with something on the file, because I try to export another project and it work perfectly.

I really cannot understand where could be the problem because the two files are very similar...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem seems connected with something on the file, because I try to export another project and it work perfectly.

I really cannot understand where could be the problem because the two files are very similar...

So you have the beginning of the solution: find the difference between the 2 files and you will find the culprit element. You can also try to export half of the pages of the file to see if it crashes. If it crashes, try to export half of this half and so on…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The two files have similar layout but completely different text inside. Is impossible to understan where is the difference.

Also dismount all the text to find the reason is extremely long and difficult. is 124 pages with 4 language layers and several links, and other function inside.

As wrote in the first post the file works perfectly before the update of this morning, so I think the problem is in the update.

I like to help but I cannot loose days to find a problem of something I pay to use...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Boris,

once updated to version 15.1.0.25 you can always go back to e.g. 15.0.3. From my German Creative Cloud Desktop App on Windows 10 where I clicked at the tiny button ... ( three dots ) next to the Open button of my InDesign. There is a Uninstall button for InDesign (15.1) and a Install button for e.g. InDesign (15.0.3):

CC-DesktopApp-OlderVersions.PNG

FWIW: You do not need to update.

On the contrary; especially if you typeset projects in Arabic or Hebrew.

There is a severe bug with both of the Adobe World-Ready paragraph composers in 15.1.0.25:

ID 2020 15.1 - All text variables (including page numbers) replaced by "ss" text

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180/suggestions/40675342

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/error-background-pdf/m-p/10674245 - see here my post about half-blade method.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dominion82,

things you can try:

[1] Restart your machine.

[2] Trash your InDesign cache files folder at:

UserName > AppData > Local > Adobe > InDesign > Version 15.0

[3] Also trash any file with a tilde ~ at the start of the file name and with the *.idlk suffix.

[4] Open InDesign and then export the PDF to the Desktop.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

unfortunately didn't work.

I come back to the previous version 15.0.3 and it work perfectly.

There is something wrong in the new version 15.1 that stops the compiling. Unfortunately no errors appear, only application crash.

p.s. the file was all "green" in the preliminary checks panel. And the system crash also using other function, example scrolling the pages list or the links list...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dominion82,

I understand that you went back to 15.0.3 where you do not have any issue with exporting to PDF.

Nevertheless, I think you should do a bug report on this issue at:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/

Best provide the packaged InDesign document from 15.0.3 and the saved 15.1.0.25 document to one of the developers there.

Hm. One thing one could test with InDesign 15.1.0.25 is to export the PDF without using a background process.

To do that you have to move a simple text file without any contents to the inDesign application folder. The key here is the name of the file: DisableAsyncExports.txt

Solution 4: Disable background exporting

Quit InDesign.

[1] Create an empty text file and save it as "DisableAsyncExports.txt".
[2] Navigate to the location of the InDesign executable, for example:

Win: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign 2020\

Mac: /Applications/Adobe InDesign 2020/Adobe InDesign 2020.app/Contents/MacOS/

[3] Move the text file from step 1 into this location.

Restart InDesign.

Source: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/pdf-export-background-task-hangs.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am hoping that your issue has been resolved till now. If not, please feel free to update this thread else let us know if any of the suggestions shared above helped you or not.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Sheena, thank you very much for your reply.

In the meantime, I had an update of my Adobe applications again and now everything is working properly.

All the best,
Boris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

After the software update the bug is fixed!

Thanks for the support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines