• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2020 Adding Unwanted Paragraph Style Keyboard Shortcut

Guide ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The company I work for has just upgraded from InDesign 2019 to 2020 (15.1.3). I'm running on an iMac with High Sierra (10.13.6). Some of our existing files have a paragraph style that has no keyboard shortcut when opened in 2019, but after opening in 2020 (either directly, or after exporting to IDML), the number 2 in the 10-key pad invokes the paragraph style. I like to use the 10-key pad to enter numbers, so you can imagine that would be a problem if typing a 2 changed all of my type to a different style. When checking the paragraph style, the space for the keyboard shortcut is blank in both 2019 and 2020, but if you place the cursor into the name field in 2020 and hit the Delete key, it removes the invisible shortcut and the number 2 in the 10-key pad goes back to just entering the 2 glyph.

What I'd like to know first is whether anyone else has seen a problem like this. Secondly, if anyone would care to try these files to see if you get the same results, I'm including a link to Dropbox. As to fixing any files we need to edit, I though about exporting the style after it's been fixed so that I could import it into another file, but I can't seem to find where Save Paragraph Styles has been moved to. Didn't it used to be in the fly-out of the styles window where Load Paragraph Styles can be found? Here's what I see there:

ss.png

Anyway, thanks for anyone who decides to weigh in, and here's the link to Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3b6let2x9eyqkbu/AADqVcK9OEwPLRSonIjcfPHFa?dl=0

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Hi Rob,

I think this is a bug with InDesign 2020. Don't know if this is directly related, but I also saw a strange behavior with keyboard shortcuts for styles when a document was opened from a previous versions, in this example from InDesign CC 2015:

New numpad bug since Indesign CC2020
R.J., Feb 12, 2020

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/new-numpad-bug-since-indesign-cc2020/td-p/10919233?page=1

Also discussed in German at hilfdirselbst.org:

Numblock springt zu Absatzvormaten ohne Zuwei

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see your problem in CC2020, not sure if it a bug or a single file corruption.

There has never been a save paragraph styles in the Paragraph Styles panel. You can fix the problem in one file, save, then use it as a master file for loading its styles in to other files using the incoming definition. Just tried that on your problem file and it worked:

Screen Shot 17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob. Yeah, now that I think about it, loading styles from an InDesign file was always the way. I guess I was misremembering, probably from the way you export a library or Photoshop actions to a separate file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

I think this is a bug with InDesign 2020. Don't know if this is directly related, but I also saw a strange behavior with keyboard shortcuts for styles when a document was opened from a previous versions, in this example from InDesign CC 2015:

New numpad bug since Indesign CC2020
R.J., Feb 12, 2020

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/new-numpad-bug-since-indesign-cc2020/td-p/10919233?page=1

Also discussed in German at hilfdirselbst.org:

Numblock springt zu Absatzvormaten ohne Zuweisung in CC2020
R.J., 6. Feb 2020
https://www.hilfdirselbst.ch/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=573962#573962

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Uwe. So I guess this is a thing. And it's ironic that the thread you found reporting this some time back was one that I had replied to with a possible reason that turned out to not be correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines