Number of Processors: 

Memory: 8 GB

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Seriously, low-end machine. You should certainly upgrade the RAM but you'll never get great performance out that.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to the detailed responses given earlier, I'd recommend checking out Adobe InDesign system requirements on https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/system-requirements.html

and upgrade your machine accordingly. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously, low-end machine. You should certainly upgrade the RAM but you'll never get great performance out that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob's not lying to you. Your i3 processor is a big impediment. But that doesn't mean you can't dramatically improve its performance.

You can increase its processing memory/RAM from 8GB to 64GB. This greatly reduces the amount of time your system spends swapping data back and forth between its storage and the processing memory. You can also swap/supplement your HDD/Fusion drive with a dedicated Solid State Drive (SSD), for something like a 10x performance improvement over a conventional hard disk if you use a plug-in 2.5" case SSD, with an additional 4-5x performance gain over that if you use a PCIe SSD board. That's the upside.

The downside is that you'll have to carefully, tediously, take the glass screen off the front of your iMac to do any of this. And if you go the whole route and place a PCIe SSD in your iMac for maximum performance gains, fully disassemble the iMac as you dig into its guts to do the upgrades. Unless you're an experienced and confident Mac computer technician, this is deep in "Kids, don't try this at home" territory. Hire a pro.

If you want to research this further, I suggest you check out OWC Computing to research your iMac 2019 upgrade options. Not only does it show you pricing, the company has step-by-step videos which show in vivid detail what it'll take to upgrade your iMac. I don't work for OWC; I'm just a happy repeat customer. I help people with system repairs/upgrades all the time, and watching the videos for upgrading your system reminded me why it costs so much to upgrade iMacs. I do that work when clients are insistent, but it's not cheap and I'm not lying when I say working on all-in-one iMacs is the bane of my existence.

You can improve your system. But it won't be easy. And it will cost you. But it can be done.

Hope this helps you with your decisions. I wish I had better news for you, but I'd rather tell you the truth.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Photoshop is taking 5 min to launch there is likely an OS or other software problem. One of the machines in my studio is a 2012 iMac with 8 MB of RAM and Photoshop launches in 6 sec on High Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, Catalina can have permission issues that affect performance. If you are using your startup drive as Photoshop’s primary scratch disk there could be a permissions problem—with 8MB of RAM you likely will be using the disk for virtual memory. For both ID and PS make sure there is adequate space available on the startup drive. Here’s Apple’s page on Catalina permissions:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines