• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A way to create a master text frame specifically for footnotes?

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. As the title explains, it be great if a text frame specifically placed for footnotes on a master page. In all the years working with InDesign, footnotes always appear in the same frame as the marker.

Does anyone no how?

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Theere is no such function. You could use endnotes and place them in different frames. Position and size should not done via master, but via object style in this case. Normally on the master should never be a text frame for content, except primary text frames, but a primary text frame would not be helpful here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. So endnotes means the last frame from the same thread. After reaching the end of the thread, it continues up front accordingly as individual frames. I'm guessing endnotes could flow out of intended page, but I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting - I'd like to know why you need this function - maybe there's another way to achieve what you need. 

I used to do footnotes manually back in the day the footnotes couldn't span columns. 

I'd create a master text frame on the master page, and set it to auto size, height only, from the bottom, with a text wrap on the top.

Then as someone else said - use endnotes (a feature I also did not have back then) 

You can then thread the footnotes onto the master text frame and use page breaks to force the text to the next page so it matches the footnote reference.

It was a pain though.

I'd love to know why you need this - just out of curiousity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically is to have the flexibility on how to layout footnotes, as not all instances where everything can be in a single thread. I may not have all the right methods, but I always try to find the most efficient. I haven't even found a way to continue footnote numbering if a thread is cut. For placement, maybe a marker for footnote could have some value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you supply an example?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Suddenly came to mind, an easy example is MS Word, footnotes are placed at the same starting point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines