• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Accessible Document Failed Accessibility Checker (Content Placed from Word)

Participant ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have built a completely accessible publication using the same process I have used countless times. The only thing I have done differently is import content from Word.  The content I imported from Word was completely accessible as well and I mapped the Heading styles I used there to the Paragraph styles used in InDesign.  Every image is alt-tagged.  Every decorative item is marked as an artifact.  Every paragraph style is mapped to a PDF export tag with the appropriate heading level.  All headings are used correctly and in the appropriate order.  I have no tables.  

The Acrobat accessibility checker is making all sorts of wild claims.  It's failing all of my alt-tags.  It is insisting I have tables and I don't.  It's saying I have no tab structure and I do.  It says my headings are nested inappropriately.  

Is there some nonsense hiding somewhere in this document from Word that is causing this to fail?  How do I remove it?  This is due tonight and I have used this exact process over and over before without issue.  The only thing I did differently was Place content from word directly into the InDesign file.

I rebuilt the entire document and it passes the accessibility checker without issue.  I suspect these errors are due to having placed content from Word into my InDesign file (and possibly mapping styles from Word to those used in ID) but I would like to know why this exploded as it did. 

Thanks!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

The Acrobat accessibility checker is making all sorts of wild claims.

By @bren87

We'll need more details from you to figure out what's happening.

• Can you post the report from Acrobat's Accessibilitiy Checker?
  • Which version of Acrobat are you using? (Give the build number)
  • Mac or PC?
  • Show us a screen capture of your tag tree that shows where it's correct so that we can correlate that with the checker's report.

--Bevi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Acrobat accessibility checker is making all sorts of wild claims.

By @bren87

We'll need more details from you to figure out what's happening.

• Can you post the report from Acrobat's Accessibilitiy Checker?
  • Which version of Acrobat are you using? (Give the build number)
  • Mac or PC?
  • Show us a screen capture of your tag tree that shows where it's correct so that we can correlate that with the checker's report.

--Bevi

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have built a completely accessible publication using the same process I have used countless times. The only thing I have done differently is import content from Word.  The content I imported from Word was completely accessible as well and I mapped the Heading styles I used there to the Paragraph styles used in InDesign.  Every image is alt-tagged.  Every decorative item is marked as an artifact.  Every paragraph style is mapped to a PDF export tag with the appropriate heading level.  All headings are used correctly and in the appropriate order.  I have no tables.  

The Acrobat accessibility checker is making all sorts of wild claims.  It's failing all of my alt-tags.  It is insisting I have tables and I don't.  It's saying I have no tab structure and I do.  It says my headings are nested inappropriately.  

Is there some nonsense hiding somewhere in this document from Word that is causing this to fail?  How do I remove it?  This is due tonight and I have used this exact process over and over before without issue.  The only thing I did differently was Place content from word directly into the InDesign file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rebuilt the entire document and it passes the accessibility checker without issue.  I suspect these errors are due to having placed content from Word into my InDesign file (and possibly mapping styles from Word to those used in ID) but I would like to know why this exploded as it did.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do not post your request in more than one forum.

Since this would be an issue with either InDesign or it's internal export uility, refer to this version of the post  https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/accessible-document-failed-accessibility-checker-content-pla...   in the InDesign forum.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know what this is in relation to as this is from two years ago. 

I don't use this method anymore because it doesn't work.  I have abandoned this process.  We can delete this thread if desired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines