• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add a Text input to Data Merged content

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm building a large catelogue and using Data Merge. I'm in need of placing a Textbox next to each of the product in the catelogue to facilitate the user key in a value. I used Buttons and Forms and added a Text input box however once the Data Merge is completed all the Text input carries the same "Name", hence once a value is keyed in to a Text input that reflect accross all the other Text input fields. Is there a workaround for this? Thank you. 

TOPICS
How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Hi Mohan,

for each of your products in the same layout template you need a different data merge key.

Therefore a different data column in your data merge source. You cannot expect different results if you are using the same key more than one times in the same template.

Don't think there is a workaround for this with the data merge feature.

Other tools like Easy Catalog should be able to handle this.

Or bare ExtendScript scripting without any data merge process at all.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

(

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

I agree with Uwe's answer - there isn't a real workaround other than instead of using the text fields, leave a rectangle in place where you want the form field to be. Once you've merged the text to a new InDesign file you would have to convert the rectangle text fields, but this doesn't have to be one at a time - you could select all the relevant rectangles and then click in text field in the buttons and forms panel. Just be aware that the order you select the frames in will be the same tab orde

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mohan,

for each of your products in the same layout template you need a different data merge key.

Therefore a different data column in your data merge source. You cannot expect different results if you are using the same key more than one times in the same template.

Don't think there is a workaround for this with the data merge feature.

Other tools like Easy Catalog should be able to handle this.

Or bare ExtendScript scripting without any data merge process at all.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response Uwe. I will try the tools you’ve suggested.
--
Cheers,
Mohan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree with Uwe's answer - there isn't a real workaround other than instead of using the text fields, leave a rectangle in place where you want the form field to be. Once you've merged the text to a new InDesign file you would have to convert the rectangle text fields, but this doesn't have to be one at a time - you could select all the relevant rectangles and then click in text field in the buttons and forms panel. Just be aware that the order you select the frames in will be the same tab order they will tab through unless you use the articles panel to assign the order manually.

Concerning a scripting route, Uwe did write a script on the forums that will convert one frame at a time to text fields - https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/converting-text-frames-to-text-field-using-scripts-edited-fo...

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines