Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add Hindi and Punjabi fonts to InDesign

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

We're working on having one booklet translated in several languages, two of them are Hindi and Punjabi.  We're trying to copy the translation from a Word document and paste it on InDesign, but it doesn't work.  We tried several options, including changing the font to Adobe Tamil, with no luck.  Any help on this will be highly appreciated!  Thank you!

H

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Steve and Ellis have covered the high points for you, but i have a few fairly important bits to add. You are not going to find any Hindi glyphs in Adobe Tamil. However, Adobe Devanagari most certainly does have Hindi glyphs, and it is available in Typekit.

However, I would bet you the beverage of your choice in the city of your choice that neither typeface contains glyphs for Punjabi. There is a very active Punjabi type development scene, but you will not have an easy time finding it if you are l

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a foreign language expert. But from being on the forum, two questions occur: Are you using the Adobe World Ready Composer? Have you tried PLACING the Word file into InDesign rather than copying and pasting (the latter generally does a poorer job of communicating between applications).?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve is right on both accounts. One way to enable the Adobe World Ready Paragraph Composer is in Paragraph Style Options>Justification>Composer>Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer. Also make sure you have selected the appropriate language in Paragraph Style Options>Advanced Character Formats>Language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2018 Jul 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Ellis. I was struggling to get my Hindi text correctly show in indesign and you helped fixed it!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved my issue !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve and Ellis have covered the high points for you, but i have a few fairly important bits to add. You are not going to find any Hindi glyphs in Adobe Tamil. However, Adobe Devanagari most certainly does have Hindi glyphs, and it is available in Typekit.

However, I would bet you the beverage of your choice in the city of your choice that neither typeface contains glyphs for Punjabi. There is a very active Punjabi type development scene, but you will not have an easy time finding it if you are looking for Punjabi fonts. However, if you are looking for Gurmukhi fonts, you will probably get better results. That's because, while the language is called Punjabi (or Panjabi) the script is called Gurmukhi. A similar situation obtains in the case of Hindi and Devanagari - or in that of English and Latin script, for that matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU ARE THE BOMB!!!!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I was having the same issue and saw you wrote "Devanagari" instead of "Hindi" (which I activated from Adobe Fonts), and it worked!!! So thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A huge thank you to Steve and Marvest, this info has helped me so much today!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok

IMG-20230302-WA0141.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines