Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add more RAM/Memory to InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

I need more RAM to my InDesign, but I cant find where to make these setting?
I am sure that in earlier versions, it was possible by making an Info on application, and set more RAM to program, or am I mistaking?

I use InDesign CC 15 on my MacPro running High Sierra.

My Mac has 32 GB RAM.

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Using Get Info to assign memory to applications manually on a Mac was a feature in Classic Mac OS, a long time ago. When Apple transitioned to Mac OS X around 20 years ago, memory management became fully automatic, so Apple removed the memory setting from Get Info. The problem with the old way was that the memory assignments were hard walls that could not adapt or be moved as different programs were used, it was too limiting.

Today both macOS and Windows use fully automatic memory management.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think you are confusing with Photoshop. It has never been possible with InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds right, but I am wondering why it is not possible in InDesign..? 🤔

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there i have same issue since i've upgraded to Big Sur, my indesign is super slow!! have to use low res preview when working with any file now which i never had to before so i was looking at giving Indesign more power somehow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Get Info to assign memory to applications manually on a Mac was a feature in Classic Mac OS, a long time ago. When Apple transitioned to Mac OS X around 20 years ago, memory management became fully automatic, so Apple removed the memory setting from Get Info. The problem with the old way was that the memory assignments were hard walls that could not adapt or be moved as different programs were used, it was too limiting.

Today both macOS and Windows use fully automatic memory management. The system constantly adjusts memory depending on the current needs of all running apps. If InDesign actually needs more memory, it will request it from macOS, which will provide it if available. And it is not just a matter of assigning memory, because for increased overall efficiency, the system can also compress RAM or swap it to the drive. With all these memory management options, it is now too complicated for a person to manage manually.

Your Mac has 32GB RAM, which is a lot more than InDesign usually needs. Can you tell us why you think it needs more memory? Is it actually displaying an Out of Memory message? Does it seem slow? If you describe what the problem is, we can help figure out what the real cause is, because it might not be about memory.

Photoshop and the Adobe video applications do let you apply a memory amount, but it is the opposite of what you want. The memory settings in those applications do not allocate more memory; instead they limit how much memory the application can receive, so that they don't take too much from other applications that you might need to run at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Conrad.

Thanx for gettting back with a fully explanation.

I had problems with some files from a client, but after deactivating Preflight, removing preview of pages in Pages panel, and cleaning up in clients mess – it all goes a bit faster now ... 😊

Thanx for quick reply 😉

Best from Jeppe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I unfortunately upgraded to the newer Adobe Programs my Adobe programs run very, very, very, slow, 1990s slow.

I sit here watching the beach ball and crashing over very simple items that used to be lightning fast.

How can you make adjustments to allocate more memory for your programs?

Also the newer versions have very little to offer over CS3, just moved around  and less efficient.

Meh, your programs are a fail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please review the Correct Answer to this thread. You cannot manually assign more memory to applications in the recent versions of macOS or Windows. That hasn’t been possible for many years. Applications ask the system for memory, and as long as there is some available, the system gives it to them. If you are having slow performance, we on this forum (who are mostly other users, not Adobe employees) can help you troubleshoot that.

(There are some memory preferences in some Adobe applications, including Photoshop. But those only limit how much memory that application can use; they can’t be used to allocate more memory than the system normally gives it.)

If the applications are running slow, it's probably not a memory problem unless your computer is older and doesn’t meet the published system requirements. What model of computer are you running, and how do its specs compare to the current system requirements for the Adobe applications you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines