Highlighted

Add multi-word name or phrase to dictionary?

Engaged ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to add non-hyphenated, multi-word items to the dictionary, eg
"Blu Karrot"

or
"Wi11em O#mert"
but when typing in more than one word, it takes away the option to add.

Is there a way around this?

thanks

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately that isn't an option in InDesign, as you have discovered. You can create custom list of word in a .txt file and import that word list into your user dictionary, but InDesign recognizes the individual words because they are separated by a space, a tab, or a paragraph return. That's the dealbreaker.

The only "outside the box" solution I can think of is to add the words with an underline in place of a space, i.e., blu_karrot, and use a GREP style to make the underline transparent with a character style (and I reduced the typesize by half because it was too wide). 

~Barb

sc2.gif

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Add multi-word name or phrase to dictionary?

Engaged ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to add non-hyphenated, multi-word items to the dictionary, eg
"Blu Karrot"

or
"Wi11em O#mert"
but when typing in more than one word, it takes away the option to add.

Is there a way around this?

thanks

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately that isn't an option in InDesign, as you have discovered. You can create custom list of word in a .txt file and import that word list into your user dictionary, but InDesign recognizes the individual words because they are separated by a space, a tab, or a paragraph return. That's the dealbreaker.

The only "outside the box" solution I can think of is to add the words with an underline in place of a space, i.e., blu_karrot, and use a GREP style to make the underline transparent with a character style (and I reduced the typesize by half because it was too wide). 

~Barb

sc2.gif

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 07, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add them as single words.

~Barb

sc.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb - thanks -

Yes - I'm aware of that... however, I wouldn't want ID to skip "karrot", thinking it was correct, if it was supposed to be "carrot".

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~Barb

sc2.gif

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 1