Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding a date field

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone again !
Second post of the day!! ! Houalala I am not stopped anymore!!!!
Another question, always on the creation of my character sheet (see previous post). I have just added a field in which I would like the date and time to be stored (specified) manually, to specify possibly the date of the last modification of the sheet for example.
But my concern is that under InDesign I can’t find anywhere where i can specify the "date" format of my field. So for now I tag it as "Text field" and once exported to PDF, I edit it under Acrobat DC and I modify the field to set it a custom "Date" format with the code dd/mm/yyy at HH:MM

Same as for the previous post, it is possible to configure this field directly under InDesign ?

Many thanks for your help and advices

TOPICS
Feature request , Import and export , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Hi @Silverscott ,

from your last post I figured you're talking about PDF forms. 
So Jeffrey's answer stands – no.

The InDesign form functionality has seen only 2-3 minor changes in the past 10 years or so and the functionality is rudimentary at best... so you set up your "base" form in InDesign and all more advanced settings like defining the required format (like date) of those fields you do in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I didn't understand your issue but take a look under:

Type > choose which "Text Variables" you want to insert > Define

Then you can choose format options by clicking the triangle to the right of the box

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also, you can type date formats directly into the Date Format box

take a look the table of date format here

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/user-guide.html/indesign/using/text-variables.ug.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi vladan, thanks for your answers but I think I have made myself misunderstood, what I would like to propose is as in the attached photo a button opening a dialog box with a calendar to specify a date that will remain saved in the field. 

variable date.png

This is what I get when I specify the format "date" in the text field properties box in Acrobat DC.

variable date 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Silverscott ,

from your last post I figured you're talking about PDF forms. 
So Jeffrey's answer stands – no.

The InDesign form functionality has seen only 2-3 minor changes in the past 10 years or so and the functionality is rudimentary at best... so you set up your "base" form in InDesign and all more advanced settings like defining the required format (like date) of those fields you do in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot for this clear answer 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines