• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding alt text to vectors - not displaying in Acrobat once PDF'd

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Due to new accessibility laws that have been introduced this month we have to make sure all images within any artwork we produce have alt text. I can do this no problem for PNG and JPEG files within Indesign but any vectors, EPS or ai files don't show the alt text once exported as a PDF. I have tried adding the alt text via object export options as well as add the alt text into the file info description and then creating an object style and selecting XMP description but nothing works - all I get when I hover over the image in Acrobat is a cursor with a outlined box (see image). I have tried adding the alt text in Acrobat too but this doesn't work on vectors either. Any advice on how to resolve this issue? Currently I am having to drop a transparent PNG over the top of any vectors within Indesign and adding the alt text to that - not an ideal work around.IMG_7464.JPG

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , How to , Import and export , Publish online , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Hi yes I am using the most up to date version of InDesign - I can't seem to find a screen reader that works with PDFs on a Mac to check my alt text works ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on the latest version of InDesign? 2020 (build 15.1.2.226). Older versions of InDesign didn't respect Alt-text on graphics created in InDesign with its tools, or graphics copied/pasted from Illustrator into InDesign.

And one more item: hovering over the graphic in the PDF is NOT the way to test for Alt-text. Some browsers  don't do the pop-up (Alt-text is supposed to be voiced by screen readers, not visible in a pop-up).

Instead, find the <Figure> tag in the tag tree, right-click on it, Properties, and see if there is any Alt-text in the field box.  You can also run Acrobat's Alt-text utility in the Accessibility tools pane.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi yes I am using the most up to date version of InDesign - I can't seem to find a screen reader that works with PDFs on a Mac to check my alt text works ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have a look at this Acrobat plugin from callas (it's free)
https://www.callassoftware.com/en/products/pdfgohtml

It can show you all the structure tags if that is what you're looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines