• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding photo and auto rearranging

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create a multi page catologue for web and print. I want to add placeholders. Pictures above with the product# below it. Organized alphabetically.  Sometimes a new product is added that needs to fit between earlier products listed in the middle of the page. I would need the ones below to automatically move one space down to keep it in alphabetical order. Is this the best program to do it? Can anyone help with How Tos? Do I need to create a database? If so which database program allows photos? I used to use CorelDraw with Excel Database but I can't figure out how to add photos to the database.

Thank you for any help you can give.

TOPICS
How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Although something like you describe could be created in InDesign using its Data Merge feature, I suspect there might be a better or easier way to do it. Often the answer is the result of what you know best. I'm curious to see what others suggest. In the meantime, you might want to take a look at EasyCatalog Lite, by 65Bit.com.

https://www.65bit.com/software/easycatalog-lite/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although something like you describe could be created in InDesign using its Data Merge feature, I suspect there might be a better or easier way to do it. Often the answer is the result of what you know best. I'm curious to see what others suggest. In the meantime, you might want to take a look at EasyCatalog Lite, by 65Bit.com.

https://www.65bit.com/software/easycatalog-lite/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I'll look into that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would use inline objects.

Create a group that contains the picture and the caption.

Cut that group, and paste it in a text frame.

It will now flow with the text, and if you ever need to insert an extra picture, simply paste it in the text flow, and all the pictures will move up to make room.

I use this technique in my Yearbook Creator: https://www.id-extras.com/creating-high-school-yearbooks-in-indesign/

Have a look at the end of the video at the bottom of the page – you'll see how easy it is to cut and paste pictures when the document is built in such a way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Per TAW, inline objects would be my other suggestion. The advantage being that you won't have to buy or learn any new software. But you will need to understand anchored objects in InDesign and how to use Styles to position your images on the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines