• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding rectangle frames in a table

Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a table with several columns. I'm making the first row interactive with text boxes (each cell has it's own text box). Currently, I'm inserting a rectangle frame into each cell in the first row and making it a button (text field). My problem is: as I insert the rectangles, they don't always perfectly fit into the cell...I guess I don't have a steady hand. Is there a way to make the cells within a table interactive text fields without drawing rectangles? I feel I'm missing out on a much easier way to do this!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Hi @pamb85064850:

Unfortunately, I don't see an option to Convert Cell to Graphic Cell. There are other conversion options, but not that one. 

Be sure to remove any frames that you may have added to the table already and click your Type tool in the cell. If you still don't see it—please share a comparable screen shot. Menu commands can be hidden in InDesign, but it's not likely this one was. 

~Barb 

cell.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post the exact name of the Adobe program you use so a Moderator may move this message to that forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies.

The program is InDesign 16.0.1x64

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to the InDesign forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pam,

best post some screenshots to illustrate what you like to do.

Frame edges showing and hidden characters as well.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @pamb85064850:

Well, this is a few more clicks, but precise.

• Remove cell insets.
  • Size rows and columns to final size.
  • Click in the cell and choose Table > Convert Cell to Graphic Cell. (This adds a graphic frame that exactly fits in the cell—but you can't convert it to a Text Frame, so...)
    fr1.png
  • Edit > Cut, Edit > Paste to paste frame on the page
  • Object > Content > Text
  • Click inside the same cell
  • Edit > Paste as an anchored frame that matches the original graphics frame
  • Add your text to the text frame
    fr2.png

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barb Binder Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, I don't see an option to Convert Cell to Graphic Cell. There are other conversion options, but not that one. 

Maybe my explanation wasn't accurate. In the table below, I'd like to add text boxes that fit into the table cells exactly. I save this doc as an interactive PDF and users fill in the cells with the option in the rows below. My problem is, currently, I'm drawing a rectangle into each individual cell and making it a text box (via button tool). My retangles don't always completely fill the cell (they're too short, too narrow, etc.) and this is driving my OCD brain craz(ier)! It seems there should be a simple way to make each cell an interative button without having to draw anything. 

Thanks in advance.

InkedCapture_LI.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @pamb85064850:

Unfortunately, I don't see an option to Convert Cell to Graphic Cell. There are other conversion options, but not that one. 

Be sure to remove any frames that you may have added to the table already and click your Type tool in the cell. If you still don't see it—please share a comparable screen shot. Menu commands can be hidden in InDesign, but it's not likely this one was. 

~Barb 

cell.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barb Binder That worked! Thank you for the detailed explanation. Yes, it's a few more steps, but the frame fits perfectly into the cell now.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pam,

please post the screenshots with frame edges showing and hidden characters showing.

Is your table done with InDesign's Table feature?

Is your table perhaps visually similar to an InDesign table, but consists of individual text frames and graphic lines?

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@pamb85064850:

Terrific. Glad we could find a solution for you. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines