Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding rounded border with a fill to a table in InDesign

Participant ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am trying to create a table with rounded corners on the top left and right of the top and bottom of a table with some lines on the rows in between, but I cannot work out how to do this.

This is what is happening in InDesign:

indesign-table-1.png

As you can see, the grey background is not going to the far left of the header table and the lines do not go all the way across either.

This is what I am trying to acheive (I have done this in really roughly in Photoshop)

correct-indesigntable.png

This is how I would like the table to look.

Can anyone tell me or show me how I can acheive this?

Thank you.

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Does anyone have an example on file they can send me with something similar to my screenshot? 

Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lboxv94d0r9ibqt/sample%20table.indd?dl=0

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tables cannot have rounded corners. Text frames can, but a table is not clipped to the text frame, so even a rounded corner text frame won’t do what you want.

What will is creating the table as usual with sharp corners then cutting the text frame containing the table. Next, use Edit > Paste Into to paste the text frame into another frame which will clip it. You can give that frame the rounded corners you need. The text is still editable.

Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 2.38.39 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a thread about this on here a couple of years ago: 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/round-corners-of-a-table-in-indesign/td-p/8616235?page=1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott's reply is basically correct. If you have access to LinkedIn Learning/Lynda.com, I have a video on this topic in my course InDesign: Tables. https://www.linkedin.com/learning/indesign-tables/creating-tables-with-rounded-corner-borders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply.

I have been playing around for hours and stil can't figure this out!

Does anyone have an example on file they can send me with something similar to my screenshot? I am happy to pay for someones time. I'm getting so frustrated 😮 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot add rounded border to a table.

BUt you can define paragraph styles with shadow and border. This would allow you to create a paragraph style with rounded border.

A way to perform what you want is to use paragraph styles and define them as part of the cell styles and use the cell styles as part of the table style. Don't define borders and areas in table and cell cell styles if you go this way. Only the border styles from the paragraph styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have an example on file they can send me with something similar to my screenshot? 

Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lboxv94d0r9ibqt/sample%20table.indd?dl=0

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Thank you very much, that is exactly what I needed 🙂

I will have a play around with it so I can work out how to do it next time.

Thanks again, it is very much appreciated 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We are always happy to help. 😊

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines