• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding Video to InDesign for PDF

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to do this regularly with the Media pane allowing you to reference a URL as long as it wasn't https://. I store my MP4 clips on Rackspace and simply enter the URL and set the play controls, reference screen etc.

But this has now chnaged with you able to simply "place" a video like any other GFX image. There is no way I can see to simply enter a URL any more.

Now this is all well and good, but inflates the PDF file size horrifically making it an impossibility to email to my subscribers. So how do I get around this and keep using the old way (or any variation thereof)?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

I know I have seen that as a request at https://indesign.uservoice.com. Yes it is a problem because the embedded movies were using flash technology and in recent version indesign removed all flash based elements. Interactive PDF also have some limitations in that the interactivity is varied depending on what platform (computer or mobile, and also non adobe PDF readers) are being used. I know there is work on the PDF 2.0 standard where accessibility and complience with webb standards is priority,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I have seen that as a request at https://indesign.uservoice.com. Yes it is a problem because the embedded movies were using flash technology and in recent version indesign removed all flash based elements. Interactive PDF also have some limitations in that the interactivity is varied depending on what platform (computer or mobile, and also non adobe PDF readers) are being used. I know there is work on the PDF 2.0 standard where accessibility and complience with webb standards is priority, but not sure how far in the future that will be. You can place embedded HTML, using Object > Place HTML… and that opens a range of possibilities, only it does assume the output to be either Publish Online, or EPUB (Again the EPUB reader will be part of the equation). Hope that gives you some idea of the choices you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks 🙂 Might have to use the Publish Online option. Seems a backward step; why not just leave it there until the PDF 2 standard is ratified ? Oh well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can include a hyperklink in your PDF that links to a YouTube or similar video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, but I prefer the video to be inline in the doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The PDF 2,0 spec is there, it's up to vendors, such as Adobe, to implement it -- email them requesting it if you want it implemented (in due course!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines