Highlighted

Adjust Layout vs Enable Layout Adjustment

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work in book publishing so changing the size of a document is rarely done, but applying a master page with a different margin is a given to almost every project.

Is there a way to still perform the function of Enable Layout Adjustment or is that gone to the wayside? For example, I could apply a master to a page and the objects adjacent to the margins would automatically snap to the size of the master. Items that were not touching the margins like ornaments or other text boxes would remain in place.

Using the new Layout Adjustment feature, it does too much work and adjusts every object on the page, so it seems more problematic than helpful. Moreover, applying a different master to a page no longer automatically adjusts the boxes sizes to my margins.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Ariel,

you could add your voice here and vote for a bugfix:

Text margins don't change when master pages are applied – Adobe InDesign Feedback

Or do a new bug report or feature request.

I also think, that the old Layout Adjustment feature has it's merits.

Adjust Layout is still not able to replace it in every aspect.

Regards,
Uwe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adjust Layout vs Enable Layout Adjustment

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work in book publishing so changing the size of a document is rarely done, but applying a master page with a different margin is a given to almost every project.

Is there a way to still perform the function of Enable Layout Adjustment or is that gone to the wayside? For example, I could apply a master to a page and the objects adjacent to the margins would automatically snap to the size of the master. Items that were not touching the margins like ornaments or other text boxes would remain in place.

Using the new Layout Adjustment feature, it does too much work and adjusts every object on the page, so it seems more problematic than helpful. Moreover, applying a different master to a page no longer automatically adjusts the boxes sizes to my margins.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Ariel,

Text margins don't change when master pages are applied – Adobe InDesign Feedback

Regards,
Uwe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A better way is to set up your main text flow with Primary Text Frames. Then when you apply a new master, it immediately picks up and uses the guides on the new master page. Read about it here:

InDesign Basics: Primary Text Frames - InDesignSecrets.com ...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve, I have to disagree with you there. Primary text frames are a nightmare to use. They spawn extra frames very easily. The link to them gets broken easily when combined with other features (e.g. auto-flow). I would avoid them like the plague.

Layout Adjustment should NOT have been removed from InDesign. It should still be there, alongside the new Adjust Layout for those who need it...

Ariel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We will agree to disagree, Ariel. If you wish to make that request for what is now a new feature you should be make it as InDesign User Voice:

Adobe InDesign Feedback

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ariel,

Regards,
Uwe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tested this with columns please? I have found it does not work with columns Steve.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This "auto adjust" thing is by far THE MOST ANNOYING thing I've EVER encountered in any software... very un-intuitive... and slows down the work flow. Someone should get rid of this ridiculous "feature"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue as you. It's very frustrating because I have previous templates setup from InDesign cc2018 and now my text frames do not adjust when different master pages are applied to pages. I'm about ready to pull my hair out.

What's the best way to go about setting up a primary text frame in an existing document which already has all it's content and the Master pages are created for margin adjustments and text variables and do not have text frames?

Everything just worked fine in cc2018 as text frames adjusted to master page changes. I'm about ready to revert back to cc2018.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't answer that. When I teach about it, I recommend that such documents be created with Primary Text Frames from the beginning. I have little or no experience of trying to apply them after the fact. Maybe others do.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, so I guess moral of the story is to make sure you first create your document with primary text frames setup in your master pages. I've re-done my template with this feature. It's a shame that you cannot keep the same layout adjustment feature in cc2019 as cc2018 had though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the new feature is much more powerful and works better than the old Enable Layout Adjustment (although there are borderline cases like yours where it works for your particular workflow).

Keeping both features woud be totally confusing. (They already kept Liquid Layout, the "rule-based" way of adjusting layouts.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I definitely understand. Thanks for clarifying everything. I just need to "adjust" my own practices and workflow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man, I am so with you, timd. And the old "Primary Text Frames" approach--which worked great in Quark--was annoying was can be in InDesign (how was it annoying? I don't even remember anymore--I just remember that it was hard to work with) that's why everyone in book publishing avoided using it. The fact that I can't have the margins snap when I apply a different master page in InDesign 14 is even less unhelpful than the endnotes feature, which has added hours to every book I work on.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

I also don't understand why this feature gone. I hate putting a primary text frame on the master and after quark (many many years ago) it was so refreshing feature for me, the fact that I don't need Primary text frames on master.

I prefer the old Layout Adjustment that when applying the master on a page it will auto change the text box.

Shlomit

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Primary Text Frame feature was an improvement over the old Master Text Frame, and arrived (as I recall) with CS5 or CS6. It works well for me whenever I've used it.

I'm afraid there's no way to return to the old Layout Adjustment method unless you run an older InDesign CC version. The new Adjust Layout method is, in my opinion, more flexible and powerful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have imported a 200 pages of text and I set them all with Paragraph styles I created for the. After doing so, I see which page will be a chapter page, etc. Let's say the page 21 will be a chapter page where the text box starts lower than the regular reading pages. if I'll put a primary text box and apply the chapter master to page 21, will text get reflowed into this primary text? No. It  will put an empty text frame under the existing one, right? I will than have to reflow the text into it so something is not working for me...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue. I like primary text frames. I use them all the time and grumble about my coworkers who don't.

I just started playing in InDesign CC2019 for the first time and got to see first-hand how troublesome this "Adjust Layout" tool is.

I have a book that is changing margins a bit. I'm working in a file that was created in CC2018, but saved into ID2019 before I changed anything. I changed the margins on a Master page that had one plain, boring primary text frame on each page, with running head boxes above. InDesign pushed the running heads up into the slug area and shrank each of the primary text frames to a 3pt x 3pt frame piled one on top of the other at the center of the spread. I had to readjust them by hand. So helpful.

So, every time I adjust margins or primary text frames in CC2019, I'll need to double-check all measurements because the tool is unreliable and there is no alternative, which will cost me time.

"Adjust Layout" is yet another stunning step backwards for Adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue and drives me crazy!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi together,

the issue should be fixed with the latest prerelease version of InDesign: 14.0.3.418.

I recommend visiting Adobe InDesign Prerelease and test that version.

Regards,
Uwe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines