Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adjusting running header when multi-digit page numbers

Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Community,

I originally had my running header, auto number, and flourish in three text boxes, which caused a problem when numbers went beyond a single-digit. I've now added them all into a single box, but it is clunky for typesetting (I had to kern the hell out of the space between diamond and Title to make it work), and I wonder if I am doing something that could be done more gracefully?Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 9.22.12 AM.png

Thank you.

Happy Holidays!

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That running head looks great—is this the intended look? What does it look like before kerning, and what fonts are you using?

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Barb!

It is the intended look, I just feel weird about having to kern -580. I think the culprit is the Wingding with a baseline shift. The font is Avenir Next.
Maybe I’m obsessing, but this is a 450-page book and I just hope not to run into problems down the road.
Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 9.40.35 AM.png

Regards,
Lauren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Lauren:

I am trying to figure out what is going on...what am I missing? Here is the same look—Avenir Next Medium and Wingdings. No kerning or baseline shift. 

young.png

young2.png

Is Tracking enabled? To space the text to look more like yours, use tracking:

track.png

Are you clear on the difference between tracking and kerning (most of my advanced students are not, until we talk about it, so just wanted to make sure). Can you share similar screen shots with the Control panel visible?

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines