Highlighted

adjusting text frames

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a 400+ page book in which the text frame is incorrect. I have found no way to change the margins which will also change the text position other than moving the text on each page individually, doable but tedious. Is there a way to automate the adjustment?

Just Jim

TOPICS
How to, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

adjusting text frames

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a 400+ page book in which the text frame is incorrect. I have found no way to change the margins which will also change the text position other than moving the text on each page individually, doable but tedious. Is there a way to automate the adjustment?

Just Jim

TOPICS
How to, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 05, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

You could investigate using Adjust Layout feature. See the following for details

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/adjust-layout.html

-Manan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim:

This is why we design long documents using primary frames. If you didn't define primary frames, I wouldn't go back and do it now but think about it for future documents. See https://indesignsecrets.com/indesign-basics-primary-text-frames.php.

For now, I would recommend one of two options (in either case, work on a copy of the file):

• Basic: Navigate to the A-Master (or whatever you called your primary master page) and open Layout > Margins & Columns. Enable Adjust Layout and then change the margins. The frames that are on the guides will move with the updated values.
  • Advanced: Assuming that you have 400 pages of threaded text frames, you can create an object style that specifies the new size and position, then use Find/Change > Object to find all text frames and change to the Object style.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2020 2
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I had the spine width wrong and set the primary frame a bit small. I have since manually adjusted each page. Could have set it faster with a linotype machine. Still I appreciate your  help. Have a great day and stay safe.

JIM 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use the documents page borders? Those red lines? You should snap every text frame on them as this what they are made for. If so, and if layout adjustment is active, changing the borders would adjust the text frame too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0