Highlighted

Adobe CS 5.5 upgrade to a version that works with Catalina?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I read some of the post. I am also the person who has Adobe suite CS 5.5 for Mac, because of crash and replaced motherboard, apple updated my computer to Catalina. Not aware that my Indesign would be useless. Due to Corona I am jobless and homeless so in any case I have to limit my spending and don't always have internet at my disposal. I need to start applying for jobs urgently. But I can't update my resume anymore. I am not a designer, so buying another expensive program is not possible. I do love to use indesign as an amateur. Do you offer inexpensive upgrade solutions. I don't need all the fancy options? It is a long story. Sorry for that.

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Performance, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe CS 5.5 upgrade to a version that works with Catalina?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I read some of the post. I am also the person who has Adobe suite CS 5.5 for Mac, because of crash and replaced motherboard, apple updated my computer to Catalina. Not aware that my Indesign would be useless. Due to Corona I am jobless and homeless so in any case I have to limit my spending and don't always have internet at my disposal. I need to start applying for jobs urgently. But I can't update my resume anymore. I am not a designer, so buying another expensive program is not possible. I do love to use indesign as an amateur. Do you offer inexpensive upgrade solutions. I don't need all the fancy options? It is a long story. Sorry for that.

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Performance, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 21, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no simpler or less fancy alternative to InDesign (to work with INDD files). There is only InDesign. Of course there are other simpler DTP apps for various prices.

There is no upgrade path for Creative Suite. Discounts finished many years ago. There is only Creative Cloud subscriptions, from $20/month for InDesign (yearly commitment). 

Warning, scammers may contact you privately pretending to be Adobe staff. They may offer to sell you upgraded InDesign or Creative Suite, which would be illegal/fakes. Adobe will never send you a private message asking you to email an account that isn't @adobe.com, or use Skype. Adobe never ask you for their password. These scammers want your Adobe info, credit cards, your money and control of your computer, please take care.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thank you for your reply and the warning. What I meant with a less fancy is that I don't need al the newest functions. Is there a CS 7 or 8 that does work on Catalina.  I know there is only 1 Indesign. And so far I was really happy with it. Especally because I could do all things I needed to do and don't use it very regularly. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no good news.

1. No, Adobe do not offer old products at all, except to people with current subscriptions.

2. Catalina was designed to destroy all old apps. You cannot run anything old at all. For InDesign that means InDesign 2020; everything else is destroyed in Catalina.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read your comment better.  Sorry. You are saying in a way I am screwed and will only be able to keep on updating my resume with the monthly payment. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not re-do the resume in Word?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow, I have to laugh out loud because of your comment. Thank you dearly for the suggestion. But I must say Word definitely can't do what Indesign can do. I always curse when I want to create something decent in word. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most employers want a Word file for a resume and as the old saying goes, "beggars can't be choosers."

If you want a resume that can be sent just about anywhere and is easily updated, then Word is proper tool to use.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's fair to say most employers would prefer a resume made in Word. The first thing they need to is extract the text and put it into their employment system. No decision maker sees your nice design. If the design is not very simple, text extraction will fail and your application may fail (without notice). This is not a comment against InDesign or good design, but a specific comment on resumes. You have to imagine yourself, bored and overworked, in an HR department dealing with thousands of resumes. They are not looking for more work... !  (Small companies may be different).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0