• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When will Adobe InDesign would be available on IPad Pro

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Does anyone know whether Adobe are planning on developing InDesign for the iPad Pro? 

***** Title renamed by Moderator "VS" *****

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

You aren't going to see InDesign on iPad anytime in the near future. Stop holding your breath. Quite frankly, I don't understand what is “boring” about a MacBook (or for that matter, any Mac or Windows system). The real issue is working on a platform that is appropriate for the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I explored this question extensively before deciding to include an iPad Pro as part of my workflow, and I can't remember a single instance of anyone saying that InDesign works competently (or even works at all) on iOS or iPadOS. Quite to the contrary, most sources talked about about the problems iOS and iPadOS have with handling hierarchical file systems which are a key part of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Dr. Isaacs. I respectfully submit that Adobe has a problem. It seems no longer does other than pay lip service to users other than very large enterprises. I'm old, retired and don't matter at all to the corporate bottom line - all my work is now given freely to the non-profit world. That said, I started with Adobe in the mid-1990's, and loved the software then and still do now for that matter. I reluctantly, however, have left Adobe and found a new home with Serif. There are many reasons for my move, but they all come back to a sense that the company views the individual user as inconsequential. You say here that users waiting for a iPad Pro. version of InDesign should not hold their breaths. This is the wrong answer from Adobe. I guarantee there if a few ask for a product here, many more will be asking elsewhere. iPads and their ilk will become very much more powerful and capable very quickly and if Adobe isn't taking note of what their customers use and want ... well, someone else will. So, once again I submit with humility that you at Adobe need a bit of an attitude shift. A better answer to this thread might have been (in non-bureaucratic language), "Absolutely, InDesign needs to be on the iPad Pro and Android platforms and we are trying our best to make that happen. We are working with Apple and ... on a ton of problems like directory structures, memory management, ... " now, if you can't make a statement like this honestly, you at Adobe should give your heads a shake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't hold your breath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, yes, you really are stuck. People who buy iPads, Android tablets and Chromebooks can't run Creative Cloud. All software has "system requirements", a dull and wordy page telling you what you need. Dull as it is, it's essential reading. (For example, even if you get a PC, it may not be powerful enough to run some of the Creative Cloud apps. Yes, you have to check each app in turn).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So much for hoping to install CC on my old Sinclair ZX Spectrum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's screaming on my TRS80...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specifically liked for the Trash-80 flashback.

Now I feel old ... I mean, I am old, but I generally don't feel it ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok inDesign will be a dream on iPad for a long time, well.
But update Adobe Comp to open the iD files, at least the one page ones..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has just launched Illustrator for the IPad Pro-is it such a stretch for InDesign? If they can figure out how to make a person appear younger or older with just a slider-you think they could translate InDesign to the IPad Pro or any other tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Read the rest of this thread!

It is absolutely not a matter of “translating” InDesign to the iPad!!!

Unlike Photoshop and Illustrator that primarily deal with one type of file format, raster and vector respectively, InDesign is at the heart of some very complex production workflows in which content of multiple types both from local file systems and the network is placed into InDesign documents. Often, many gigabytes of content (text, vector, raster, and mixtures of same) using many different fonts (and font styles) and ICC color profiles come together into an InDesign document and InDesign-based workflow with output directed to screen, print, or both (either directly or through a bunch of other file formats).

It isn't a matter of translating high level language code from Intel-based processors to ARM-based processors, but rather, trying to deal with the exceptionally limited operating system services and user-accessible features that iPadOS provides compared to either Windows or MacOS. Problem areas include font (a four letter word beginning with an ‘f’) support, color support including support for ICC color management profiles and spot colors, and general hierarchical and network file system support.

Yes, one could put together an InDesign Junior program that supports a limited subset of InDesign features or a version that is somewhat incompatible with InDesign on Windows and MacOS, but we strongly suspect that our users would be screaming about the actual usefulness of such a product.

It has been pointed out that Adobe now has iPadOS versions of both Photoshop and Illustrator, but the feature sets of both including the ability to deal with all graphic arts assets is somewhat limited. It is very easy to demo such iPadOS product versions dealing with simple designs without external dependencies (including myriads of fonts, profiles, plug-ins and scripts), but you would find an iPad an exceptionally-challenging environment for complex designs and real world production workflows where Wacom tablets, keyboards, and large (and multiple) high-resolution, color-calibrated monitors reign supreme (even large screen notebook computers running Windows or MacOS don't really cut it in those environments).

May I recommend the following:

(1)    Go to https://indesign.uservoice.com/  and vote for such a version of InDesign (with justification and real use cases) or if there isn't already such a request, start one. Adobe's InDesign product mangement and engineering doesn't officially monitor these communities. Here, you are primarily talking to other InDesign users.

(2)    Directly lobby Apple to extend iPadOS from it's “walled-garden” environment to one that can host real world production environments that require file system access and support for user-installed fonts (other than by store purchases and special services), profiles, scripting, plug-ins, etc.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines