Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe InDesign 2020 (15.1.2) crashing when Type tool is used on macOS Catalina

New Here ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://youtu.be/6RSw00BX3mc

My adobe indesign is always crashing when I use the type tool. I am running the latest adobe creative cloud version, latest indesign version and latest mac version, Mac OS catalina 10.15.6. I have tried previous versions of indesign and this issue still remains. There is another post wirth the similar issue over at https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-cc-crashes-lauch-text-tool/td-p/5179017?page=1

But the solution provided has a download link that brings me to the adobe homepage rather than a download page, which is very silly.

In the above linked youtube video, you can see a recording of the problem I am encountering.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. This has been reported by a few other users on macOS Mojave as well and we're currently investigating it. I would like to know if the steps suggested above help resolving the issue? If not, please post this issue on our UserVoice page and share the link here. 

This way you'll keep getting all the updates related to this issue and other users can also upvote it.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

Same crash happens when I try to use the rectangle  tool. Therefore, the problem is not limited to the type tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your InDesign preferences:

1) Close InDesign
2) Double click on Adobe InDesign's icon to launch it
3) QUICKLY hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift. (for Windows) or CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift (for Mac OS X)
4) When a dialog appears, ask you “Delete InDesign Preference Files?” Click Yes.

(If you don't see the question do it again.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. I have tried doing that and deleted InDesign Preference Files but the problem still persists.

Also, Photoshop also has the same problems for me. It crashes when I open a new project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Photoshop crashes on startup as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you unistall InDesign, using the drop-down menu in the Creative Cloud app, and reinstall it again. If that doesn't solve the problem then unistall it again and then run Adobe Cleaner before reinstalling InDesign again.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I've done as you said. But the problem still persists. I thought of trying Adobe CC2019 because that was what working for me. But I can no longer install that version in creative cloud 2020. I tried googling for the installation files, but it seems adobe does not host it anymore. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CC2019 should be available – maybe you need to reinstall the Creative Cloud app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your error report, you were creating a new page item. The crash is within the control panel (control strip), when it updates for the changed selection. You could retry with all panels hidden (using the tab key), or just the specific panel hidden, but that will likely just cause the crash in a different place.

Rebuilding prefs etc. was already mentioned.

To download older versions with CC app, make sure that gear icon >> Apps >> Settings >> Show Older Apps is on. I had to scroll to get to the bottom of "Settings".

As you have problems with multiple applications, also use Apple Diagnostics to check for a memory problem.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/diagnose-problems-mh35727/mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. We understand how frustrating crashes can be. In addition to the responses shared above, could you please check if turning off GPU Performance from InDesign preferences (CMD+ K) help resolving the issue?

gpu_preferencesID.png

Also, we have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing these issues. Please check this help article for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out, we'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. This has been reported by a few other users on macOS Mojave as well and we're currently investigating it. I would like to know if the steps suggested above help resolving the issue? If not, please post this issue on our UserVoice page and share the link here. 

This way you'll keep getting all the updates related to this issue and other users can also upvote it.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines