Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently purchased a new computer:

• Windows 10 (1709 Build 16299.192)
  • 1 TB SSD and 2TB HDD
  • Processor i9-7900X @.3GHz
  • GPU NVidia 1080Ti 390.65 driver
  • 64GB Ram

All Adobe CC 2018 programs install correctly and work properly (Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, Premiere Pro, etc) except for InDesign CC 2018.

When I start InDesign 2018, the splash screen appears and then the whole computer freezes at the point of "Calling late initialisers". I then need to hard reboot the computer to allow me to use it again. I have tried reinstalling the program, removing the preferences and running it as the administrator, but to no avail.

I have installed InDesign 2017 and everything functions correctly with this version.

I had an online session with an Adobe technician today, but the gentleman had limited English and wasn't very helpful at all.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

OK, I contacted Dell (Alienware), and they provided me with the procedure to turn off the overclocking on my Alienware Area 51 R4 by performing the following steps:

Restart the System and at the Dell Alienhead Logo, Press F2 (Multi-page BIOS)

• Under the Advanced TAB, You will Find the Option CPU Configuration-Hyper- Threading technology-Change it to Disable
  • Under the Advanced TAB, You will Find the Option Intel (R) Speed step Technology-Change it to Disable

If you wish to turn on the Overclocking again, change the above options back to enable in the BIOS

Once the computer restarted, I could open and run InDesign CC 2018 normally. There is obviously something in the code that prevents the program from running in hyper-threaded environment.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe InDesign CC 2018 crashes and freezes new computer

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently purchased a new computer:

• Windows 10 (1709 Build 16299.192)
  • 1 TB SSD and 2TB HDD
  • Processor i9-7900X @.3GHz
  • GPU NVidia 1080Ti 390.65 driver
  • 64GB Ram

All Adobe CC 2018 programs install correctly and work properly (Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, Premiere Pro, etc) except for InDesign CC 2018.

When I start InDesign 2018, the splash screen appears and then the whole computer freezes at the point of "Calling late initialisers". I then need to hard reboot the computer to allow me to use it again. I have tried reinstalling the program, removing the preferences and running it as the administrator, but to no avail.

I have installed InDesign 2017 and everything functions correctly with this version.

I had an online session with an Adobe technician today, but the gentleman had limited English and wasn't very helpful at all.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

OK, I contacted Dell (Alienware), and they provided me with the procedure to turn off the overclocking on my Alienware Area 51 R4 by performing the following steps:

Restart the System and at the Dell Alienhead Logo, Press F2 (Multi-page BIOS)

• Under the Advanced TAB, You will Find the Option CPU Configuration-Hyper- Threading technology-Change it to Disable
  • Under the Advanced TAB, You will Find the Option Intel (R) Speed step Technology-Change it to Disable

If you wish to turn on the Overclocking again, change the above options back to enable in the BIOS

Once the computer restarted, I could open and run InDesign CC 2018 normally. There is obviously something in the code that prevents the program from running in hyper-threaded environment.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 18, 2018 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is virtually impossible for an application to lock up an operating system. Have you checked all of the hardware and drivers?

First thing I'd do is pull half the RAM and try it. If it still works, pop in the other half.

After that, it gets harder.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 18, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

RAM not the issue. Ran a full hardware diagnostic and no issues found whatsoever.

The program hangs Windows at the same point as it starts-up each time. No other Adobe CC program does this except for InDesign CC 2018.

Interestingly the forum seems to describe similar behaviour with InDesign 2018 for other users.

I will just have to keep using InDesign 2017 until Adobe release the next iteration and see how that goes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 18, 2018 0
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Virtually impossible?
Trying to run InDesign in Windows 10 has hosed the entire system and caused Windows to crash completely for two days now.
I'm reliant on my mentally-challenged I.T. people at work to fix it....but it's in no way impossible with Adobe. ID is acting like a nasty virus.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar issue with the exact same build, brand new PC. I get the Freeze when its checking for plugins. Where in the process does your encounter the freeze?

Although I am running into issues when I try to export anything from Premiere, After Effects & Encoder (I don't know if you've encountered that too)

If I run across a fix I will post it here, but will keep checking back if anyone else has a solution!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 29, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer freezes at the point when InDesign is "Calling late initialisers". This occurs every time I start up InDesign CC 2018. Running any other Adobe CC 2018 is fine and I don't run into any other issues.

Running an online session doesn't help as you are cut off when the computer freezes when the Adobe Tech tries to run InDesign 2018.

This problem also occurs on a Mac at work so I suspect the "bug or issues" have not all been ironed out yet.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 30, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I found something that does work for my Build, I read a post that I had dismissed (Intel 7820x Core CPU (Turbo Boost) and Adobe Photoshop CC BSOD's ) because it seemed unlikely to be related to my problem but I remembered that we bought our PC Overclocked, So I opened the BIOS or UEFI and turned the "Max Performance" to "Auto"  in CPU Configuration which seemed to fix my issue.

My best guess is InDesign was trying to load with these settings but I have no idea or concept as to why it freezes the computer. maybe its because its workload is going across all cores instead of one at a time but I don't know.

See if this helps.All my issues from before seem to have been resolved.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 31, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear you have the issue solved. I too believe that my Alienware system is overclocked, however, my BIOS settings are not as straight forward as a simple switch from max power to auto. I will have to consult the manual to see what settings need to be changed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 01, 2018 0
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh boy yes that's less straight forward compared to an ASRock Motherboard. Good luck!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 01, 2018 0