Highlighted

Adobe InDesign Hyperlinks Don't Open for All Users in PDF

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am creating a catalog with multiple hyperlinks to online training. I am using Adobe InDesign. Each hyperlink is under a text entry description of the course and contains a hyperlink character style that I created. So, many of the hyperlinks contain the same preview text (they all say Click Here to access the training, but each physical link is different.) I inserted the hyperlink by highlighting the appropriate Click Here text, right-clicking, and selecting Hyperlink > New Hyperlink. I have diligently checked each link for spaces and no extra spaces occur. I have deselected Share Hyperlink Destination. In the hyperlinks panel, all links are green and work correctly when I click them.

I then export the PDF as a Print PDF with Hyperlinks enabled. I have tried both an older version of PDF (Adobe Acrobat 5 PDF 1.4) and a newer version of PDF (Adobe Acrobat 7 PDF 1.6). 

What happens is the PDF works correctly for me when I open it and view it, but other people experience difficulty opening links. My supervisor has many broken links on her end. Many times our clients can't open the links. All the links work for me when I open the PDF on my laptop, but the results seem varied among other users. This is problematic because we can't send out a PDF where many of our users can't open all of the links.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by David_Popham | Adobe Community Professional

Doubling down on Derek's advice to ask your clients to open the PDFs using the latest version of Acrobat Reader to ensure that they have the same experience that you get with Acrobat. The current Windows default PDF app is the Edge web browser, and the Mac default app is Preview, so there's a good possibility that one of those is what they are using to open PDFs. Neither one guarantees that all PDF features will behave as intended.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe InDesign Hyperlinks Don't Open for All Users in PDF

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am creating a catalog with multiple hyperlinks to online training. I am using Adobe InDesign. Each hyperlink is under a text entry description of the course and contains a hyperlink character style that I created. So, many of the hyperlinks contain the same preview text (they all say Click Here to access the training, but each physical link is different.) I inserted the hyperlink by highlighting the appropriate Click Here text, right-clicking, and selecting Hyperlink > New Hyperlink. I have diligently checked each link for spaces and no extra spaces occur. I have deselected Share Hyperlink Destination. In the hyperlinks panel, all links are green and work correctly when I click them.

I then export the PDF as a Print PDF with Hyperlinks enabled. I have tried both an older version of PDF (Adobe Acrobat 5 PDF 1.4) and a newer version of PDF (Adobe Acrobat 7 PDF 1.6). 

What happens is the PDF works correctly for me when I open it and view it, but other people experience difficulty opening links. My supervisor has many broken links on her end. Many times our clients can't open the links. All the links work for me when I open the PDF on my laptop, but the results seem varied among other users. This is problematic because we can't send out a PDF where many of our users can't open all of the links.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by David_Popham | Adobe Community Professional

Doubling down on Derek's advice to ask your clients to open the PDFs using the latest version of Acrobat Reader to ensure that they have the same experience that you get with Acrobat. The current Windows default PDF app is the Edge web browser, and the Mac default app is Preview, so there's a good possibility that one of those is what they are using to open PDFs. Neither one guarantees that all PDF features will behave as intended.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you export as an Interactive PDF and your clients use the Adobe Reader?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines