• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe InDesign may not support the file format... but was opened 2 hours ago

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably due to the fact that InDesign 2021 was just released however I had a file open literally two hours ago and is now unable to open in both 2020 and 2021.

It was created by myself in InD 2020 and I've been working on this certain document for the last week, through the use of a USB, does anyone have any suggestions? 

Talen5FF7_1-1604855100886.png

Talen5FF7_0-1604855074019.png

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

I may.

Go to Finder, navigate your way to the file in question, then Option-click/right-click on the file in question. In the pop-up context-sensitive menu, choose the Open With command. I'll just about betcha that it isn't set to open with InDesign CC2021 as the default. If you click on that option, I'll also betcha it finally opens for you.

Now, how to fix it: in Finder, click once on the file and press the keyboard shortcut Cmd+I to open the Get Info dialog box for your file. Change the d

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may.

Go to Finder, navigate your way to the file in question, then Option-click/right-click on the file in question. In the pop-up context-sensitive menu, choose the Open With command. I'll just about betcha that it isn't set to open with InDesign CC2021 as the default. If you click on that option, I'll also betcha it finally opens for you.

Now, how to fix it: in Finder, click once on the file and press the keyboard shortcut Cmd+I to open the Get Info dialog box for your file. Change the default to InDesign CC2021, then choose to make all files of this type open with InDesign CC2021 and you should be past the problem ... for InDesign documents. You'll want to do the same with InDesign templates (.indt), book (.indb), library (.indl) and InDesign interchange format (.idml) files too.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix did not work for me - also now it seems to have spread to some of my pdf files too. I have been transfering files between my home PC and my work Mac but have onlt had this isssue in the last week or so. I made some files  three days ago on the Mac and can now not open them. I get the "Cannot open the file ###. Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plugin that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application."

None of these things are happening. It is literally same computer, different day - now updates, no deletions?!

Help.

Tried the above change and the associuation was fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a Windows computer?

If you are, turn off the Preview Pane in your File Explorer window. When Windows shows you the file preview, it doesn't open the file, But as far as Windows considers it, the previewed file is open. Shutting off the Preview Pane eliminates the problem entirely for PDF files, and if you're using file previews or icon (not list) views, can fix the problem with InDesign files too.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Randy,

thanks for the reply. Today I'm on the Mac and the files I'm having issues with were also made on the Mac earlier in the week. I notice that when these files occur, they have no preview in Bridge - just the icon. Anyway - I'm going to try a few things. If I get an answer, will put it up here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Randy, I worked it out - it was TPOBCAC - with working between Mac and PC - PC sees invisible files that are made when creating files in Mac. When going back to my Mac workspace I didn't bring all the invisible bits of file with me. The workaround was to save files to our cloud based server, that way no bits where lost. I hope that makes sense - my error - but then panic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For some reason its not giving me InDesign as an option, I've got illustrator and photoshop but nothing else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines