Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, iMac crashes

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I bought 6 new iMacs (27'' 5K 2020) in November and installed them without any backup. Our graphics department has 8 iMacs (2 --> iMac 2017; 6 --> new one). All files are strored on an network drive (SMB).

Since then I have big issues: on all 6 clients the Adobe apps or the iMacs itself crashes. The 2 "older" clients are working fine.

It's happening infrequently and it doesn't matter which function or file we are using. Sometimes the apps or iMac crashes when nobody is working (f.e. lunch time).

Crash report is attached.

What is installed on the iMacs:

• MacOS Catalina, because I wasn't sure if Big Sure is working well (latest updates from Catalina)
  • MS Office 2016
  • Adobe CC 2021 (latest updates)
  • Fonts and two scripts
  • McAfee
  • (Domain joined)

Hardware:

• 3.8GHz 8-core 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
  • 32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
  • Radeon Pro 5500 XT with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
  • 512GB SSD storage

What I tried already:

• Apple hardware diagnose --> OK
  • "First Aid" of SSD --> OK
  • Reinstalled Adobe
  • Reinstalled MacOS Catalina
  • Tried original DDR4 memory (4x4GB) and also brand new Crucial memory (2x16GB)
  • Deleted cache and preferneces (~/Library/Caches und ~/Library/Preferences)
  • Local files instead network drive
  • Network drive with AFP and also SMB
  • Another Network drive
  • Deleted font cache
  • Disabled scripts
  • Deleted fonts
  • Tried Adobe 2020 version
  • SRM and NVRAM reset
  • Uninstalled McAfee
  • Disabled com.adobe.AGM
  • Tried Mac Mini (M1) with Big Sure --> was working fine

I'm really don't know what else I can try. Apple and Adobe support said everything is working fine with their system.

Thanks for your help!

BR Hannes

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Apologies for the delayed response. Since you have these issues with the multiple apps, I'd request you to connect with Adobe technical support. Please click o the chat icon at the bottom of this age to begin the conversation. Team here will be able to perform remote troubleshooting on a live session & assist you accordingly.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh,

thanks for your reply. I'm in contact with the Adobe Support Team since December, but the problem still exist. Therefore I'm asking the Adobe community, maybe someone here have the same issue.

Thanks,

Hannes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having similar issues and have also not received answers/fixes. If you've been able to resolve the crashes and are able to share info, I'd appreciate it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Caitlin,

now I'm trying to install app per app to find out which program cause the issue.

I started to install only MacOS Big Sur and Adobe and nothing else --> result (after 3 1/2 weeks): no iMac crashes, but Adobe crashes (no distinct pattern: PDF export from InDesign, duplicate EPS files, edit file in InDesign, open more than 3 files in InDesign > crash > all installed Adobe apps are starting automatically)

Sure, if I'm able to resolve the issue, I'll let you know.

BR Hannes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to  check if you have any accelerated GPU settings turned on and try turning them off.

Open InDesign and select the InDesign>Pereferences>GPU Performance... application menu command. This opens your Preferences dialog box and identifies if you have a graphics processor that allows GPU acceleration. InDesign/Photoshop/Illustrator does that first when you install the program, and automatically selects the GPU Performance check box if it finds a graphics processor where it can apply GPU acceleration automatically. Turn it off, and see if that helps your problem.

In Karmic (and not documented) Mac Fixes, turning off GPU Performance can cure a lot of little or big ills. Hopefully this will help you, and be the end of your erratic Mac/app crashing issues.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Randy,

thanks for your reply.

I already tried to deactivate this feature on two iMacs, but it didn't helped.

Now I'm trying to install app per app to find out which program cause the issue.

I startet to install only MacOS Big Sur and Adobe and nothing else --> result (after 3 1/2 weeks): no iMac crashes, but Adobe crashes (no distinct pattern: PDF export from InDesign, duplicate EPS files, edit file in InDesign, open more than 3 files in InDesign > crash > all installed Adobe apps are starting automatically)

Maybe you have another idea?

Thanks,

Hannes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issue with InDesign on my M1 iMac OS 11.5.2 for many months. GPU Performance is unchecked. In addition to crashing, any more annoying, l get the "spinning ball" after a few minutes working on a file, on almost every command.

I understand Adobe needed some time to catch up with the new hardware, but I've installed every update and seen very little improvement. If anything, the most recent update seems to have made things worse.

What is Adobe doing to fix this ongoing problem?

Thanks,

Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laura,

yes it is very annyoing sometimes. Adobe say it's Apple's fault and Apple say the opposite 😉

I think your issue is different to mine. Because we don't have the "beachballing" problem. Our Adobe products crashes from time to time. But it gets much better now. Maybe Adobe fixed it with any updates.

I searched a little bit for your fault and I found out that many people solved this issue by turning off the "preflight" function (see How to speed up InDesign display performance [-] – Catalog Tips).

Any other tips: How to speed up InDesign 2022 - TrainingOnsite.com

Hope this will help you!

BR Hannes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Hannes, it's very kind of you to pass this on! I'm glad to hear your issues have cleared up.

It's such a dissapointment to think you're upgrading equipment only to find that an 8-year-old Mac Pro was running better than your cutting edge, top of the line iMac. I've owned Macs for my design business for over 30 years and this is the first time I had an ongoing issue of any sort. I think the M1 chip is the issue in my case, so hopefully someone will have pay attention as more people upgrade.

Best,

Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome!

My issue with the Adobe crashes is solved. But I also have still the problem that 2 of 6 iMacs (bought for 11 months) crashes every day.

Yes, it is really frustrating!

Hope we both will find a solution soon.

BR Hannes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah my experience has remained unsolved. I would love to turn off preflight but I dont get that far with the App before it crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed

1) Throw out all Adobe prefs and cache

2) Turn off network to computer, Wifi or Ethernet plug out. I think its a cloud call home error. Pathetic waste of a week but I got there in the end. Not good enough Adobe. 

3) Restart App and it works everytime

One option that may work if the above doesn't is to to tick Rossetta mode on App.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks--I'llgive this a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines