We're running 15.0.3, and were seeing strange issues where the AdobeFnt22.lst file is updated several times a minute for each open InDesign file.. enough that onedrive is effectively permanently updating.
This did not appear to be an issue on Dropbox, and I can't reproduce the issue when the InDesign file is stored on a local, un-synced folder.
What's particularly strange is that the file is being updated even when there is no activity in InDesign? My research says this file is updated when the font list is rescanned... but if the fonts aren't changing, and the InDesign file isn't changing.. What's triggering the rescan?
Is there a way to disable it? Even temporarily so we can prove it's not the cause of the performance issue we're having?
Further investigation shows the issue is far more prevalent when there is more than one InDesign File open - when even just switching tabs between files is enough to cause the adobefnt22.lst files to be updated.
It also updates the files several times in quick succession (9? maybe), which onedrive appears to process as individual updates.
The behaviour also occurs on Dropbox, however the impact doesn't seem as high - possibly because onedrive tracks last file write times to the millisecond, Dropbox only to the second? Guessing really.
What operating system? I only work in Dropbox or OneDrive and have not seen any issues with performance like this.
Windows 10. Uplink speed may be a factor... for example the same person working from home will experience more issues than when working from the office -- home means ADSL2 with <1mbit upload rates, while working in the office means using a 100mbit internet connection.
However we did not experience the slowdowns with Dropbox, on the same links.
I'd like to chime in saying we're having the same or similar issues here. The performance hit is so severe that InDesign effectively becomes unusuable - simple tasks like moving a frame or selecting text take 15-20 seconds, mostly as the app is unresponsive.
(Just a disclaimer, I'm self-taught in InDesign, so may be doing something dumb font-management-wise). I can replicate the issue by opening two different documents that have both been Packaged, resulting in a 'Document Links' folder being created, containing the Adobefnt*.lst file. If a document has not been packaged (and so does not have a Adobefnt*.lst file), we can have as many open as we like. To escape the issue we must close the second file, or quit OneDrive. I think this is a fairly recent issue I think started in May / June.
Can anyone point me towards how to get a file back to its pre-packaged state, specifically, not having a Adobefnt*.lst file?
Many thanks in advance for any help.
what's your exact version of InDesign?
The OP is talking about version 15.0.3. In the meanwhile we are at InDesign version 220.127.116.11 where another bug sneaked in that enforces a delay with the Text tool if you click inside a text frame. For documents that are using the Document fonts folder and InDesign is processing the contained fonts for display. A fix is beeing on the way for that, I think. At least the developers are working on a solution. However, I cannot tell when the next bug-fix version of InDesign will be out.
( ACP )
Many thanks for the informative and speedy reply.
Sorry for missing out that important info! We are also on 15.0.3. We had updated to 15.1, but we started to encounter crashes on export for PDFs that contained other InDesign files as links. I didn't have time to thoroughly diagnose the issue so we just rolled back to 15.0.3 for stability (which is a little ironic to say now!).
Perhaps it's worth giving the latest version another shot! Assuming the delay you mention isn't too severe, it sounds preferable to our current situation. Thanks for your help