• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Advice about to points of fiction-formatting please

Participant ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My author has used two deviced to mark new sections/passage of time. (He is aware that he has done this and will find a way to justify this, when asked.) One is the one-line space, the other is the dincus. My problem is this:

When a one line space comes at the top of a page, I cannot resort to using a dincus to show the new section is starting. Naturally, I want to avoid an empty line at the top of the new page. When I start a new section I am removing first line indent (as is usual to do) - so there is a sublte indication that a new section is starting but only if you are a type-setter, I fear. Is there another good way to deal with this visual lack of new section ?

The lack of indent at these points also creates an oddity in itself. All speech is indented consistently throught the book. But when a new section starts with a single line of speech, it looks weird to not have it indented, where all following lines are indented. Any ideas on this, please?

Thank-you.

TOPICS
Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The look of text is controlled by the use of Paragraph Styles. 

Indented paragraph styles, by tradition, do not indent the first paragraph in the series of indented paragraphs.

Extra white space between paragraphs is defined by Space After amounts in the paragraph style.

It is not done by using extra hard returns.

When the paragraph style occurs at the top of the page, you will not see a blank line.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank-you Mike. I should have made it clear that my question was not an inDesign technical one, but a type-setting style one. Perhaps this is not the best place to ask, but I thought there might be people who have insight into this,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe small cap the first few words?

Screen Shot 16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines