Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Align decimal points in bullets and numbering list

Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There

I have a paragraph style for numbered bullets and everything works great until the list have tap's, but while I creating in auto bullets numbering option the dot's not to align decimal points like below output view. I'd using the tab option the style nothing changes. Something I mistake in tabs measurements.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

On my output:

Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 6.33.42 PM.png

Orignal Output:

Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 6.20.00 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Hi All, I find my mistakes, I forget the option of alignment right in numbering style. Thanks you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ogistian:

The issue with the numbers in your screen shot appears to be that you are using a font with proportional figures—meaning that they are different widths. Assuming you are using an OpenType font, change the Figure Style in OpenType Features for your paragraph style to one of the two tabular options

Proportional figures:

Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 7.22.30 AM.png

Tabular figures:

Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 7.22.44 AM.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb, Thanks for your reply, On this project the numbers are in old styles only. So those points need to align decimal with old style number's. see again below output. Suggestion needs any good other way to control.

Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 6.20.00 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, I find my mistakes, I forget the option of alignment right in numbering style. Thanks you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to step into class, Ogistian, but had one more thought to share: the tab setting that you referenced is controlling the position of the text, not the numbers. I'd like to be able to set a decimal tab to control the decimal positions for the numbers themselves, but InDesign currently does not allow us to add a tab at the beginning (or middle, for that matter) of the Number format.

For example, you have this: ^#.^t. I would like the option to define: ^t^#.^t which would allow me to align to the decimal point as I hit two digit numbers. This is not an option for now.

~Barb

Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 7.56.05 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just do it like this:

It doesn't hang the 2-digit numbers outside the frame, which would be a little closer to ideal, but it still works. The Left Indent value is the only tricky part; different fonts will require different amounts to align the dots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John!  What?? I have never noticed that option!!
girl hitting head.png

However, it's not working for me. Can you see what I am doing wrong?

~Barb

Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 1.29.29 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as long as your First Line Indent is a negative value, it won't work; it must be 0 or greater.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay! Thank you so much! I can't believe I didn't know this.

~Barb

Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 1.38.24 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't celebrate too robustly, as soon as a line wraps, you'll discover the weakness...(of Left Indent and First Line Indent not fully offset)

But for a simple short-item list, it's useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, I was just playing with it and discovered the limitation. I still want to be able to add a leading tab as stated previously. (And have communicated that to Adobe.)

Still, I've never even noticed the alignment command sitting there. Human minds—or maybe it's just my mind—are so weird.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I consider myself an expert with InDesign.  It royally p*sses me off that I never figured this out.  Thanks a million!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines