• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All fonts are with overprint on, why?

Enthusiast ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone help me? I am working on a book, and when I saved it as a pdf and looked at it on the "preflight" in Acrobat Reader, I see a list, which says: List of a potential overprint problems, and under that "Calibrated object is set to overprint" and I see that all my fonts are with "overprint on"? All fonts? - How do I solve this? Can anyone help me? what is the correct to do before sending it to printing? (I have both black and white text, the black is 100% black and white is sat to paper) - Thank you very much!

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

No. You do not need to do anything. Black text (100% black)  HAS to be set to overprint.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>  "preflight" in Acrobat Reader,

In Reader? Are you sure?

>>  "overprint on"? All fonts? - How do I solve this?

If you're really don't want to have black text to be overprinted than you're need to apply some non-default black color to this text and change attributes. InDesign do overprint for swatch Black 100% always.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/user-guide.html/indesign/using/overprinting.ug.html

Quote:

Change the black overprint setting

To knock out black objects in InDesign, you must prevent the black swatch from overprinting. Unlike most color swatches, which knock out by default, the black swatch overprints by default, including all black strokes, fills, and text characters. The 100% process black appears as [Black] in the Swatches panel. Knock out black objects by either deselecting the overprint default in Preferences or by duplicating the default black swatch and applying the duplicated swatch to color objects that knock out. If you disable the overprint setting in the Preferences dialog box, all instances of Black knock out (remove underlying inks).

Note:

It can be cheaper and easier to have the print shop overprint process black on the press.

• Choose Edit > Preferences >Appearance Of Black (Windows) or InDesign > Preferences >Appearance Of Black (Mac OS).
  • Select or deselect Overprint [Black] Swatch at 100%.

Quote about attributes:

Overprint a stroke or fill

You can overprint strokes or fills of any selected paths using the Attributes panel. An overprinted stroke or fill doesn’t need to be trapped, because overprinting covers any potential gaps between adjacent colors. You can also overprint a stroke to simulate a trap (by overprinting a color you’ve manually calculated as the proper combination of two adjacent colors).

Note:

Overprint [Black] Swatch at 100% does not affect tints of [Black], unnamed black colors, or objects that appear black because of their transparency settings or styles. It affects only objects or text colored with the [Black] swatch.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's only giving you overprinting issues in relation to your preflight profile. If you don't need to worry about overprint fonts, then don't have that on the preflight.

Really, a preflight is not for the user to do - but rather a professional printing company.

InDesign 100% default black is automatically set to overprint - as black is typically overprinted, and never really knocked out, especially for text. It would be strange for text to be set to knockout in general, unless large blocks of text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"what is the correct to do before sending it to printing?"

Nothing. It is as it should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a ltot  @John Mensinger  So I shall do nothing.

It is all OK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will ask again! - shall I do nothing??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. You do not need to do anything. Black text (100% black)  HAS to be set to overprint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, THANKS a lot! I have been so worry about this.

Again thank you  !!  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines