All text red squiggle underlines

Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a long document that I brought in from Word. I just placed it. Most of the text has the red squiggles. If I retype the text, it goes away. Makes it impossible to find real errors. Everything is set to English - I did have one paragraph style oddly set to Arabic, but I fixed it. I tried another suggestion of saving as a .idml but that didn't work. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 12.46.52 PM.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

Hey Melissa:

I looked at the file and it's definitely an overrides issues. For example, all of the styles on page 22 are using multiple overrides, including Arabic for the language.

You will need to update one paragraph, redefine the style, then select all and use the clear overrides button to remove the overrides on the other paragraphs. Note that on page 22 the style is called Body (it seems like those paragraphs are labels or heads) so pay attention to what else changes when you redefine style/clear overrides if Body is in use on the other pages.

~Barb 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

All text red squiggle underlines

Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a long document that I brought in from Word. I just placed it. Most of the text has the red squiggles. If I retype the text, it goes away. Makes it impossible to find real errors. Everything is set to English - I did have one paragraph style oddly set to Arabic, but I fixed it. I tried another suggestion of saving as a .idml but that didn't work. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 12.46.52 PM.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

Hey Melissa:

I looked at the file and it's definitely an overrides issues. For example, all of the styles on page 22 are using multiple overrides, including Arabic for the language.

You will need to update one paragraph, redefine the style, then select all and use the clear overrides button to remove the overrides on the other paragraphs. Note that on page 22 the style is called Body (it seems like those paragraphs are labels or heads) so pay attention to what else changes when you redefine style/clear overrides if Body is in use on the other pages.

~Barb 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 22, 2020 0
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like spell check. Try Edit>Spelling>Dynamic Spelling and disable it

-Manan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 22, 2020 0
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's spell check but why is it doing this? I don't want to just disable it, it's wrong, I want it to work correctly. There is something else that happend that is totally bizarre - I can't type an apostrophe. Throughout the text there are quotes, but no apostrophes. They are all represented with > but not really, it's like a special character that is not quite > and when I try and replace with an ' apostrophe, it literally just types the > character again. I am losing my mind with this project and it's a trade - not getting paid.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 22, 2020 0
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"...when I try and replace with an ' apostrophe, it literally just types the > character again..."

Check out the paragraph overrides

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 22, 2020 1
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, something really weird happening there. I'm working on it, think I solved it. Now for the dynamic spelling issue...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 22, 2020 0
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think if you select your paragraph that is still arabic language applied in language menu

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 22, 2020 0
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be a Character Style that has a different language that is applied together with the Paragraph style. Set the cursor in the text, then holding down Alt and Shift click on the correct style name in the Paragraph styles panel to delete all overrides and character styles. Does that fix things?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 22, 2020 0
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. No character styles applied, either. The original document is a mess in Word. I don't know how to use word very well. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 22, 2020 0
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share one page of your indesign file, with a couple of paragraphs, as in your screenshot, with us?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 22, 2020 0