Highlighted

All Threaded Text Frames

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have thousands of text frames threaded throughout the document of 500+ pages. Is there any way/scripts to select them all at once instead of shift+click them individually, so I can change dimensions/move the objects? Apple scripts would also work... please help!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Colin_Flashman | Adobe Community Professional

I tend to use a free plug-in from Rorohiko to accomplish this task - Textstitch.  A link to it is here: https://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/indesign-downloads/textstitch/

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

All Threaded Text Frames

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have thousands of text frames threaded throughout the document of 500+ pages. Is there any way/scripts to select them all at once instead of shift+click them individually, so I can change dimensions/move the objects? Apple scripts would also work... please help!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Colin_Flashman | Adobe Community Professional

I tend to use a free plug-in from Rorohiko to accomplish this task - Textstitch.  A link to it is here: https://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/indesign-downloads/textstitch/

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't select objects on across spreads. If you have reference to one of the textFrames in the chain you can always move to the next textframe using the nextTextFrame property on it. For ex. the following

app.selection[0].nextTextFrame

will give the textframe in the chain and if there is none then it will null. Run the above code with a selection of textframe and test.

-Manan 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 25, 2020 0
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 25, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I'm just going to unthread and rethread everything!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 25, 2020 0
_BarbT LATEST
Explorer ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2020 0
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Channers,

could you exactly tell what you like to do with the text frames?

Then one could do a suggestion how to solve this problem.

Would you move a text frame differently if it is on the left side of the spine?
Would you move it differently if it is on the right side of the spine?

( Things like that… Try to explain what you like to do as if you would explain it to someone who needs a step-by-step description of the process. Someone who knows nothing about your workflow and intentions. )

Maybe you can get away without scripting and you can use a feature like Adjust Layout.

But that depends on the version of your InDesign And how your actual layout is done.

At least show a spread of facing pages with a text frame selected so we can see the flow of the text.

Also visible should be the page margins, the edges of the frames and invisible characters.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 25, 2020 0