• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alt dragging duplicates twice in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as the title says. When I "alt drag" on anyhting it now duplicates twice instead of once. Its infuriating. It's been happending for a couple weeks so I'm assuming its since the latest update (15.1.2). I've restarted InDesign, I've restarted my computer and I've uninstalled and re-installed InDesign numerous times. 

Uninstalling and re-installing works very temporarally. But thats it. Right back to multiple duplicating soon after. 

Has anyone else experienced this and have a fix?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Yeah that ghosting is indicative of tapping your right arrow key when dragging to make a copy. I'd try another keyboard or at least just try rapping on your arrow keys for a bit and try it again. Wondering if a key is stuck or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Had the same issue, tapping the arrow keys a few times solved the problem! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running 15.1.2 on the Mac OS and am not seeing this issue. It works as expected. When you drag, are you seeing a ghosted version of that second copy? If so, I'm wonding if you're having an issue with your keyboard as you can make additional copies using alt + drag and adding the arrow keys. Any chance you can try alt + dragging using a different keyboard? Also I just tested the alt + drag on Windows and it works as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there is a ghosted (dotted outlined) version of the second copy. See attached. The second attachment is the end result.

Unfortunately, I dont have access to a different keyboard at the moment. Still working from home. I'm on macbook pro.Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 10.33.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-30 at 10.36.06 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah that ghosting is indicative of tapping your right arrow key when dragging to make a copy. I'd try another keyboard or at least just try rapping on your arrow keys for a bit and try it again. Wondering if a key is stuck or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue, tapping the arrow keys a few times solved the problem! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the solution that worked for you. This might help our customer in future.

Feel free to reach out for any assistance. We would be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2023 Dec 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Blahblahblah5:

Uninstalling and re-installing works very temporarally. But thats it. Right back to multiple duplicating soon after. 

Have you rebuilt the preferences and cache files?

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/ 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try this. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither of these worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I haven't experienced that ghosting, I finally brought my MacBook Pro in to get the faulty keyboard replaced. What a difference! I can't believe I waited so long. 🙄

https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't get this to stop happening no matter what. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows: Pushing the arrow up on the keyboard while holding Alt and drag (a bit tricky with only two hands, but use the Alt-gr) will give you more duplicates. Pushing the arrow down on the keyboard while holding Alt and drag will reduce number of duplicates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved the problem for me, thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines