Highlighted

Alt+PgDn is BROKEN on Windows

Engaged ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally (and on the MAC), the user can press Alt/Opt+PgDn to center the next spread on the screen.

This is now broken on Windows. At least on the 2 PC's I use, both of which are up to date on Windows and Creative Cloud.

What happens now is that when the Alt key is released, a glyph is inserted into the text. And this causes the display to jump back so the insertion point is visible on screen.

Of course, if I'm not currently editing inside a text frame, the glyph doesn't appear, because there's no place for it to go.

This new problem prevents me from using Alt-PgDn and Alt-PgUp to navigate one spread at a time while I'm editing. For some reason, InDesign processes the navigation command (when NumLock is OFF) and thenprocesses the same keystrokes as if the NumLock were ON. 

Allen

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Alt+PgDn is BROKEN on Windows

Engaged ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally (and on the MAC), the user can press Alt/Opt+PgDn to center the next spread on the screen.

This is now broken on Windows. At least on the 2 PC's I use, both of which are up to date on Windows and Creative Cloud.

What happens now is that when the Alt key is released, a glyph is inserted into the text. And this causes the display to jump back so the insertion point is visible on screen.

Of course, if I'm not currently editing inside a text frame, the glyph doesn't appear, because there's no place for it to go.

This new problem prevents me from using Alt-PgDn and Alt-PgUp to navigate one spread at a time while I'm editing. For some reason, InDesign processes the navigation command (when NumLock is OFF) and thenprocesses the same keystrokes as if the NumLock were ON. 

Allen

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 04, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Allen,

just tested Alt + PgDn with my German InDesign 2021 on Windows 10.

No issue.With this key combination I can navigate to the next spread of my active document.

FWIW: I use a laptop with a keyboard that has a num pad section where the PgDn key is located.

Num lock is turned off.

I "never" do this when text is selected.

And you are right, something strange could happen, if text is selected.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the key. Turn off the num lock if you're using the page up / page down keys or use the separate keys on the keyboard.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding, Bob. But yes, as I've described above, this problem exists with NumLock OFF. The behavior is completely different (and correct) when NumLock is turned on (i.e., it's supposed to enter an extended ASCII keycode, and it does).

The problem does not exist on Macs. 

The problem does not exist on PC kybds with the dedicated PgUp/PgDn keys. Only with the NumPad nav buttons (with NumLock OFF).

The problem has not always existed, but I don't know when it began to occur.

Thanks, Uwe, for testing this. I, too, don't do much navigation with text selected -- too easy to delete something. It's interesting that the problem doesn't happen with the embedded number pad on your laptop. My Logitech keyboards, at least three models, all have dedicated number pads, but some don't have additional, separate, PgDn/PgUp keys. My guess is that if the keystrokes could be captured at a low level, we would find that the embedded number pad does not emit an extended ASCII keycode after the Alt key is released, because an additional function key is required to invoke the embedded number pad.

The essence of the problem is that InDesign used to throw away the spurious keycode, but now it honors it even though the number pad is in Navigation Mode (i.e., NumLock = OFF).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Not an answer to the question, but) I always change the shortcut for Next Spread and Previous Spread to the regular Page Up and Page Down keys (with no modifiers). Much more useful to turn spreads than to scroll the screen down a pageful, IMO.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, @TᴀW ,I would do that, if my favorite keyboard had dedicated PgUp and PgDn keys. 

But I didn't need to do that in prior versions of InDesign, where this bug wasn't present. InDesign was throwing away the redundant extended keycode after processing the navigation behavior. Since it's already processing a special key combination in the Alt+NumPad[NavMode] keystrokes, it's a simple matter to absorb the remaining spurious key event. Somebody probably just forgot to preserve the exact functionality when making some change in this area of the code.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 0