• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Altering Text To Speech Pronunciations in a Custom User Dictionary - 2020 Solutions?

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folx, I have a Text-To-Speech question for Acrobat / InDesign.

I'm trying to tag a PDF , and it's mostly going all good. However, the lovely robot lady reads out specific formulae and names incorrectly. Examples below:

phrase | How it should be said | How the TTS says it

1d10 | one dee ten | one dee one zero

2d12 | two dee twelve | two dee one two

Sanche | san-shae | sanch

Aes Sedai | Aye said-aye | ees seedy

Furthermore, it doesn't grok these formulae as terms, so the sentences read rather breathlessly which could be confusing for listeners. I tried looking this up but I can't seem to find any YouTube tutorials covering subjects like this. The closest I've found is this:

https://elearning.adobe.com/2009/03/customizing_text_to_speech_pro/

However, the article is from 2009, and the programs are now significantly outdated. It used terms like User Dictionary and 

I'm new to accessibility tools for Acrobat and InDesign. I have a feeling that a solution would be related to tagging / changing the pronunciation of specific words or phrases, which is something else I'm interested in finding out. For example, the name 'Sanche' is pronounced san-shae, but the TTS interprets it as saanch.

Thanks for your help!!!

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Sorry if this is of little help: InDesign does not have the capacity to control this, and I doubt whether Acrobat has either. It is probably controlled by the speech reader software, of which there are many beyond Acrobat's read-out-loud feature. Your cited webpage was for Captivate, so that is not the answer you seek. You might try asking this question in the Acrobat forum, however.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry if this is of little help: InDesign does not have the capacity to control this, and I doubt whether Acrobat has either. It is probably controlled by the speech reader software, of which there are many beyond Acrobat's read-out-loud feature. Your cited webpage was for Captivate, so that is not the answer you seek. You might try asking this question in the Acrobat forum, however.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines