• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alternate Layout not working?

Contributor ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to make an Alternate Layout. I followed the instructions in this video whereby I start with my original layout, go to Layout > Create Alternate Layout … and use the settings shown in the attached screen capture. The alternate layout gets made fine but when I make edits in the "parent" layout they aren't reflected in the "child" layout. I've tried this with ID 2020 on two different OSs (High Sierra and Big Sur). What am I doing wrong?

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Alternate layouts don't update that way. Once created they are fixed, except maybe the linked textframes you already discovered.

Depending on what you're doing, master spreads are more suitable.
And use object styles – they allow you to later edit all objects in one go which have that style applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I answered part of my question. I was led to believe the change would show on the actual text box when, in fact, I had to go to Window > Links and click on the warning icon for the text to update. Is there are way that I can update things like background colours on boxes or add elements after the Alternate Layout has been created?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternate layouts don't update that way. Once created they are fixed, except maybe the linked textframes you already discovered.

Depending on what you're doing, master spreads are more suitable.
And use object styles – they allow you to later edit all objects in one go which have that style applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jens, thank you. That’s what I suspected after playing around with things. Thanks for the suggestion about the object styles. That's a great idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines