Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alternatives of "Page Turn" effect in InDesign

Explorer ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Would anyone know if there is a plug in to create a "page turn" effect seeing as though it has now been removed from InDesign? This should be something very basic to do but aside from InDesign - there are websites that charge a small fortune for the pleasure of creating an animated page turning PDF.

If anyone could help I'd be most grateful!

TIA

Hayley

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

The feature was removed from InDesign because the Flash technology used for that feature is no longer going to be offered either for content creation (such as in InDesign) or in Acrobat or Reader for viewing PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the poorly named Community Help forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the InDesign forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The feature was removed from InDesign because the Flash technology used for that feature is no longer going to be offered either for content creation (such as in InDesign) or in Acrobat or Reader for viewing PDF files.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there another alternative? It’s such a shame it doesn’t seem to exist elsewhere...

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hayley:

The only alternative I'm aware of is with IN5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPsmDclzf14

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But that is not PDF!

That solution is HTML-based for which you have to deal with browser dependencies and the fact that HTML (and CSS) are not standards, but simply “recommendations.” And you are beholden to the internet gods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most people who what this effect use third-party facilities, such as: https://fliphtml5.com

(HTML5 from your PDF)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Derek I have seen these but the monthly subscriptions are quite costly. Seems a shame as InDesign use to have this function but not anymore - more money being spent at the moment is not an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you say you want a PDF - yet this is a Flash technology that is (as promised) going away. Were you actually getting page turn effects in a PDF??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ideally but I don't think it's possible. I've seen a lot of the online flipbooks but ideally would like to be able to do something in Adobe as I have all of the programs! PowerPoint has a function to turn pages but cannot be exported as a PDF. If anyone has any other ideas that don't cost an arm and a leg, please do let me know! Ideally through Adobe - if at all possible!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget it! It's an awful effect with no purpose at all.

It was cool 20 years ago...now? Not so much.

There are some Wordpress plugins that will let you display a PDF on a website with that effect, but again, that doesn't change the fact that it sucks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob

I hear what you're saying but I am an agent for photographers, illustrators and CGI artists and am used to going into ad agencies to showcase their portfolios. Given the current climate I am unable to do so, hence am trying to create a digital version of their portfolios, so you see it is relevant for my business.

If you have any other suggestions I'd happily welcome them!

Hayley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you just described is called a website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed Bob. However for different briefs I need to tailor a portfolio specifically. Thank you for pointing out the obvious though and have a great day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you, or your clients, believe that a portfolio of work will be more attractive and likely to bring work if the pages turn in a creaky annoying way, I suggest you or your clients are mistaken. Sometimes clients have to be told their ideas (like, having all the text really big, in different colours, and flashing) are just bad ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whilst I appreciate your comments I wasn't asking what people thought of the page turning effect. I was simply asking how to do it, and if there is a way on Adobe given that it is no longer available. With all due respect, if I needed advice on how to run my business, I wouldn't be asking here. If you aren't able to help with what I am asking then please don't comment at all as you're wasting your time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh but we quite like wasting our time and sharing our opinions. That is what you will find in community forums, like it or not. Sometimes it is useful, or a good insight, and often it isn't. We give our time freely, and you will need to do the same to filter out the useful from the useless and opinionated. Good luck with your quest!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Great answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am pleased you were entertained Tahia!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about considering SmugMug, it's especially designed for displaying and selling photography and artwork portfolios – there are plans for professionals at around $30 to $50 a month.  Some might think a negligible cost for a key facility for a business.

https://www.smugmug.com/plans/portfolio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you insist on using an Adobe application, you can get page-to-page transitions of fade in and fade out by exporting your InDesign document as Publish Online and adding and ?transition to the end of the Publish Online URL. The effect only appears on a desk-top browser, but it's free!

Source: Diane Burns

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One final comment on this with regards to web browser HTML as a replacement for PDF …

PDF and compliant viewers (including Adobe Reader and Acrobat on Windows and iOS) fully support ICC color management. Web browser PDF viewers as well as HTML viewers do not support ICC color management. Anything that is RGB will likely be treated as sRGB, at best.

Why is this important? If you are trying to show content from photographers and designers, color is exceptionally important. A wide-gamut photo in Adobe RGB may look somewhat anemic in sRGB, for example. Or if you want/need to preview what content will look like printed, lack of output preview just won't cut it.

PDF and proper PDF viewer support for ICC color managment is much more important than cheezy page-flipping (stomach-turning) effects. Customers will abandon you for incorrect color, not because the previewer's pages don't flip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dov I have this covered. I appreciate you pointing this out though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines