Highlighted

Amend the width of a table row without moving the row belows width!

Explorer ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This is very hard to describe (I am finding while trying to google the answer!), so I have made a quick image of what I am trying to achieve and if anyone knows how, I'd be very grateful.

Essentially I have a table in indesgn which will have many rows and columns.  For design purposes, I want to make some of the columns within a single row different widths.  As you will see from the image, this table contains merged cells and I'd like to be able to move the red boundary to the left (or right!) without it also moving the blue boundary of the cell below.

Any ideas?!Capture.JPG

Place the .jsx file in the InDesign "Scripts Panel" folder, open the corresponding panel in InDesign and click on its name in the list!

… and see the result: the tables have been created now!

In your case, you already have the table! …

Placing the cursor in the table, another (simpler) version of the script could cut it per row (+ another invisible things) to allow you to play what you exposed earlier! … And so, for that, you would just need 1 click!

(^/)  The Jedi

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Amend the width of a table row without moving the row belows width!

Explorer ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This is very hard to describe (I am finding while trying to google the answer!), so I have made a quick image of what I am trying to achieve and if anyone knows how, I'd be very grateful.

Essentially I have a table in indesgn which will have many rows and columns.  For design purposes, I want to make some of the columns within a single row different widths.  As you will see from the image, this table contains merged cells and I'd like to be able to move the red boundary to the left (or right!) without it also moving the blue boundary of the cell below.

Any ideas?!Capture.JPG

Place the .jsx file in the InDesign "Scripts Panel" folder, open the corresponding panel in InDesign and click on its name in the list!

Placing the cursor in the table, another (simpler) version of the script could cut it per row (+ another invisible things) to allow you to play what you exposed earlier! … And so, for that, you would just need 1 click!

(^/)  The Jedi

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 28, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that is how it works in Word—which never fails to surprise me—but in InDesign, when you move a column boundary, you always move the entire column. That's the black line you are pointing at and the blue underneath (and presumably the two black lines in the bottom row).

You could unmerge what looks to be a 4-column cell, and then merge just the first 3 cells.

My best suggestion is to sketch out the final look for the table and then add up your rows and columns and begin thoughtful merging of the cells, understanding the limitation described above.

~Barb 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2020 0
Advocate ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too easy! … 1 row = 1 table!

Like in this sample for someone else!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/resxpwxb1ko1x4l/_FRIdNGE-0568_TableToBeBuilt.zip?dl=0

(^/)  The Jedi

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2020 0
Explorer ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the benefit of non-jedi's like myself ... could you run through the process of how you do this?  I can see from your sample the text layout but then how do that become the table ..... ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2020 0
Advocate ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(^/)  The Jedi

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2020 0