• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

An open letter to the Adobe InDesign Team

Community Expert ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already know that I can post the in Bug Forums, or the Feature Request - or using Feature Request/Bug Report Form

And I know that the Adobe team rarely visit the forums - however, we have a rich abundance of InDesign users on here and with your support we can get things fixed.

However, I feel an open letter is best served as there's quite a few things to get through.

New Dialog Box

The new dialog box for New Documents in InDesign is horrendous. It's clearly a push to get people to see that Adobe Stock has templates for InDesign that you can purchase. I know the reasons why - you want more sales!

It's very slow to open, it's ugly, it's badly designed with the New Document measurements tacked onto the side that you need to scroll up and down to get to all the settings. (See points 1-5 below)

You might also notice on the New Dialog box that is being flaunted in front of us some sort of new genius way to start a new document - "an update" that some clever clogs has forgotten to add the PREVIEW option which is in the Legacy (see below) New Document dialog box.

Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 14.11.46.png

1: The blank document presets are useless. Why not have A4, A3, A2 etc. With B4 B3 etc. The last time I opened up a document to do "Tabloid" or "Letter Half" was in 1962 when I wasn't even born.

2: Templates - Clearly a marketing strategy that takes up 40% of the New Dialog box. I don't mind if there's a File>New from Templates in the drop down, but hogging up the all important New Document dialog box with 40% marketing and 33% of document sizes that people don't use is frustrating to see.

3: Preset Details.... Where to start

4: Units - I don't know many people that use Picas - at least a lot of my clients who I deal with on a regular basis (562 clients to be precise), never even heard of Picas - so why is it an option this day and age - we are not in 1950's print industry any more - most people use mm/cm/inches - that is not to say that Picas is not widely used, however, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's not used by the general users not in the print trade.

• I also know that this can be changed in the Preferences with no documents open - however I'll get to that soon.
  • lt's also true that when you change the units to MM (which is handy) and select a different template, the units revert! Frustrating!

5: Margins / Bleed and slug

Arguably the most important part of a New Document is setting up your Margins/Bleeds/Slugs especially if you are in the design for print business - the Bleeds and Slugs need to be inserted. Why are these 2 very important settings optional drop downs? Why are they almost hidden - why do I have to scroll through the New Document dialog box to get to these settings?

In summary

• The New Dialog box is 80% faff and 15% useful with 5% of the important necessary stuff hidden into drop down menus.
  • This needs to be changed back to the original way PRONTO - forget the FAFF - there's other ways to sell your products!

For those still reading - you can change this behaviour with No Documents Open - and go to InDesign preferences  however I'll get to that soon.

Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 14.32.10.png

Pop Up Notifications

This is not an attack on the features of Indesign - but rather on how they are thrown in your face.

Pop Up Notifications went out with the dinosaurs - why did InDesign team feel necessary to include here? Who knows - it takes up my time, which is valuable, and it's not needed. What's the first thing you do with a website that throws up a pop up - you close the website and find a different one - at least I do. I don't want to speak for everyone - but that's how I feel.

On the first export of a PDF from InDesign this monstrosity pops up (takes 1 second exactly to fully appear) and it takes over a very large portion of the screen smack bang in the middle - telling you about "Publish Online". however I'll get to this soon

Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 14.45.24.png

Not only this - but there are more pop ups throughout the day .

Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 15.01.10.png

Once again - Plugging their own products to increase their own profits!

Nothing wrong with this - however, it's intrusive, and it's certainly not what I hoped the money from Creative Cloud Subscriptions would be used for!

Preferences

Tip: If you don't already know - you can set preferences for all new documents by changing your preferences with no documents open.

My main preferences changes are as follows:

General: Use Legacy "New Document" dialog

Units & Increments: Millimetres (to be clicked twice - just in case you want to use MM going across and AGATES going down...

Dictionary: English UK

Spelling: Enable Dynamic Spelling (why this is turned off every time I will never know)

Autocorrect: Enable - set the language to English UK (two things)

Publish Online: Disable

• Now - I know everyone has different Preferences and how they want to be setup - but they're mine and you have yours - however I'll get to that soon

******************************************************************************************

The part about "However I'll get to that soon"

All of the above items RESET once InDesign crashes - or you need to reset the preferences due to irregular behaviour (Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences )

There's 4 sections before you start a new document that you have to go back and redo - simply because InDesign crashed (or the computer or something else went wrong).

I, like a lot of people here, work in a very fast paced business. Perhaps you don't work in a studio - perhaps you work for yourself, for someone else, for a team, for a company! Whoever you are, you know what I am talking about - time is money!

As I work on a multitude of items every day - every week and every month - software, computers, hardware etc all fail at some point. For me it happens more times than I care to count.

Ok - my computer issues aside, despite working on Mac and PC in tandem, where the PC is very new with very high spec - yet at random times computers fail. It's inevitable. As with software.  Ok - I might have a crash once a week. Or it could happen 3 times day.

I hate when InDesign crashes, the computer crashes, the server goes down briefly, InDesign fails - all the time I have to get rid of that ugly who cares for new dialog box that nobody likes - I have to close all those hideous pop ups - I've to setup all my preferences again.

Notes:

• This is not about me - it's about the annoying changes being implemented to InDesign.
  • This is about the way things are implemented - it's about the forever ways we have to come up with to combat the generous updates to the software that we pay a monthly subscription for
  • Once InDesign is set to work a certain way - whether it crashes or not - the Preferences/Presets/Options previously chosen should remain the same.
  • I am very frustrated by the whole thing - very frustrated indeed!

Kind regards

Eugene

ACP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eugene,

I generally agree with the things you have been pointing out. I would like to add this:

If the Document Setup is measuring inches, you cannot type values in picas and points in the Height and Width fields. For years, in the older New Document dialog box, you could mix your measurement expressions in, mm, cm, pt, p at any time and combination. Seems unfinished to me!

Best to you,

Mike Witherell in Maryland

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

I did a feature modification request on this some months ago.

Use case: When working with typography it would be handy to define Millimeters in x direction and Points in y direction when adding a new document.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael

Many thanks for adding your voice to this and I do agree with you on the point you have made.

It does seem unfinished.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All these pop ups really do affect the workflow and very frustrating.

• I cannot stress enough on pop-ups being removed from InDesign and all other Adobe apps! It should be a priority.

• As well as dumping the new "New Dialog" dialog box.

These two things are really cramping the workflow and disruptive to the normal day workings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bit of good news in tis thread - I had forgotten I even wrote it. 

However, I notice that new features now have. a small highlight dot in the menus to show they are new. 

Hurrah! It worked! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines