• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anchor point deletes instead of drawing with pen tool

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hover my pen tool over the anchor point and it changes to delete anchor point. I have tried making the point an open path hoping the pen tool will click it and let me continue to finish drawing. In Illustrator the problem is easily resolved by turning off auto add and delete anchor points. Is there any way to do the same on Indesign? How can I continue editing with the pen tool?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

I have resolved the issue. For some reason my delete anchor point symbol doesn't go away, but the it is the regular pen tool. I just click on the point regarless of the symbol it is showing and then if I click again it will continue to draw. Sometimes I have to direct select the point and then go to my pen tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the anchor point actually being deleted when you click on it with the pen tool? What I find when I hover over an end point of a previously drawn open path is that a minus sign does appear next to the pen tool icon but that minus sign is not indicating that the pen tool has changed to the delete a point tool. Rather clicking on the end point when you see the minus sign does allow for the continuation of the open path, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do see the minus sign every time. When I click with it, the point will vanish. Is there there a different way to create open paths besides directly selecting the point and then clicking edit or object>paths>make open path. (Going off of memory with the steps)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you are clicking on an end point and not a point in the middle of a line?

You should see a slash next to the pen tool when over an end point.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wondered the same thing so I have zoomed in as close as possible to click on it. It still becomes a minus and deletes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are drawing a new path, tap the P key when you want to stop drawing. This will leave an open path.

If you are trying to convert a closed path to an open path, use the Scissors tool. Click where you want the cut (it doesn't have to be an anchor point). Switch to the Direct Selection tool (white arrow) and move the segments apart. 

If you are trying to continue drawing on an open path (for example, the next day), get the Pen tool directly over one of the end points, look for the pen and slash icon, and click. This will not work on a closed path.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have resolved the issue. For some reason my delete anchor point symbol doesn't go away, but the it is the regular pen tool. I just click on the point regarless of the symbol it is showing and then if I click again it will continue to draw. Sometimes I have to direct select the point and then go to my pen tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines