Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anchored linked text frames over multiple pages not possible

Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community

I have the problem that I cannot continue anchored text frames (in my case an xlsx table) over several pages in a normal continuing text frame. The overset also cannot be adjusted via "Text Frame Options - Auto Size" because the text frame is anchored. I do get the little square with the red plus, but I can't click on it. Is there a solution, is it possible at all and if not, is there a workaround?

anchored_frames.png

Used InDesign in demopicture: Version 14.0.3

Thanks for your help.

---
Noel Bürgler | Adobe Community – Helping InDesign-Users | MacBook Pro 15", macOS Big Sur 11.2 Beta, InDesign 16.0.2
---
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel Bürgler @Topix AG:

The layout concept is great, but unfortunately, you can't thread anchored frames. Conversely, if you were to cut that frame and paste it in as an inline frame, it would unthread itself. The two features just don't work together.

Sometimes there are scripting solutions for needs that extend beyond the software limitation's, but I'm not aware of any for this one.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Noel,

by scripting it could be done even if the UI does not allow it.

However, even a possible scripting solution comes with a constraint:

You have to thread a number of text frames containing the table before you anchor the single frames of the thread to the main text. So you should have a plan how many text frames you need anchored before you can anchor them using a script. Not very flexible, but doable.

You can contact me by private message using the forum's function for further steps.

Simply click my forum name and use the button: "Send a message".

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines