Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anchoring an image does not make the first line respect the wrapping text

Participant ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrederikSt_0-1604654144003.png

I am trying to insert a blank Frame into my table so I can fake wrap the text inside the table around the image which is in the main frame (there are several tables, as well as an introductory text, so I cannot just insert the image into the table). The blank frame gets ignored by the first line of text. With the other images I put the anchor inside the heading, so it didn't matter, but the is no 0 Line inside the table.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Create a new line and give it 0 pt leading and 0,1 pt size.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's how it works. The wrap only applies to the next line and after. Create an empty paragraph above it and anchor it there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean a blank line? Or can you create an invisible paragraph?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever works for you, but you need to get that anchor above the first line you want wrap applied to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A blank line isn't an option, bc. it's the field of a table that's supposed to be aligned top. If you can man an invisible line or paragraph, please let me know how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new line and give it 0 pt leading and 0,1 pt size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer, I guess that would work, though forgive me when I say: it's hard to imagine that a 'professional' program relies on hacks like that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old thread, but you said it so perfectly I had to comment! I've been dealing with this same issue and this has been the only workaround I could figure out... I've always thought there must be a more straight forward solution in a program like indesign that I'm just not aware of - I mean, it's indesign! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was directed here because is struggeled with the same problem. I must say, wow, what a dumb workaround this is.
Suddenly one has to deal with invisible paragraphs. Very professional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Frederik,

I think we have to see more of the layout to give better advice.

Also: What should the anchored frame with the text wrap contain?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing. It should be hidden under the actual image. I can only make the text wrap around an image, or the text in a table, so I insterted a blank frame with the same width into my table to make it wrap. Doesn't wrap with the first line, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did this answer get marked as correct? I tried it and you can't use 0pt size, you need 0.1 at least, which creates an awkward space above the first line of my table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi FrederikSt,

you are right. A point size of 0 is not possible.

0.1 Pt is one option.

Also change the width and height of the text to 1% with character scaling and you are at an effective text size of 0.001 Pt.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, sorry, 0,1 of course, my bad. But you can scale and/or use baseline shift if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allright, I'll try that, thank you. However am I the only one finding it odd that you need a hack like that for such a trivial task?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

If I do that when the line with 0,1 Pt is on top of the page the paragraph with anchored object is lower than the page margin with 2.353 mm. So this is not a really good thing for me. Maybe you'll came up with a solution to wrap the first line of the anchored paragraph instead of teaching us how to hack the program.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My fix is to simply put a Shift+Return in the first line. To my fortune, I have not had to do this in text where the Shift+Return would be replicated elsewhere, such as a TOC or an index.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe: Create a new “feature” and sell it as an improvement, but make it so that the first line ignores and a hack is required to make it work. Easier to skip this anchor system and do it the “old fashioned” way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines