• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Animations triggered by buttons within the document are not exporting correctly.

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on an infographic and am trying to make it interactive where there are numbers to click on the page which trigger other graphics to appear. 

So far, within the document it seems to work, though when I export it, it doesn't do anything.

I have transparent buttons created and placed over a picture with the number list. The graphics that I want to pop up when a number is clicked have been animated to appear on the button event. These are the settings of the animation for the graphics to appear:

christinac48806708_1-1591284957101.png

Whenever I click on the "EPUB Interactivity Preview" it works fine in the example. I click on the transparent button over the number and the corrisponding graphic fades in.

After this I have exported the document as an "Adobe PDF (Interactive)". When it opens in Acrobat (I also tried opening it in Chrome but it had the same results) it shows the graphics that are suppose to be animated in when clicked. When I roll my mouse over the transparent buttons it shows that it is clickable but when I click, nothing happens. The graphics are suppose to be invisible until animated by clicking the buttons, and I cannot figure out why it works in the interactivity example but not when exported.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Animations are unsupported in PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using FXL ePub or InDesign's Publish Online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! When I used the publish online option the animations were successful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Animations are unsupported in PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding!

I ended up using the publish online option seeing as how the PDF animations were unsupported. Though my project is now a link instead of a PDF it still offers the interactivity I was looking for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a note, while Acrobat does not support animations, it does allow the use of show/hide fields, and you can set these up in InDesign, prior to exporting. I know this project is complete, but you can designate a button (a number, in your example) to trigger the display of another field, which sounds like what you were looking for. The instuctions below are using a rollover, but this can be done with a click as well.

Display a different button on rollover

You can create a hot spot in which clicking or mousing over an object displays another object. To do this, create two buttons, hide one of the buttons, and use the Show/Hide Button action to show and hide the target button.

• Create an object to be used as the source button. In the Buttons and Forms panel, click the Convert Object To A Button icon.
  • Place the image you want to be used as the target button, and convert it to a button.
    Select the target image and select Hidden Until Triggered at the bottom of the Buttons and Forms panel.
  • The image needs to be hidden in the exported document so that it can be displayed when the source button clicked.
  • Select the source button and create two different actions, one to show the target image and a second to hide the target image.
    If you want the image to appear when the mouse hovers over the source button, use the On Roll Over and On Roll Off events. If you want the image to appear when you click the source button and disappear when you release it, use the On Click and On Release events. In either case, use the Show/Hide Buttons action to display and hide the target button. See Make buttons interactive.
  • Use the Preview panel to test the buttons.

Derek and Bob, the use of Interactive PDF vs EPUB, Publish Online or HTML5 can be the topic of a different thread.  😉

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Even though as Barb says, you can use Show/Hide buttons in PDFs, in the long run, Publish Online will give you the most flexibility for using InDesign's many interactive features. Here are some great examples, all done with InDesign and Publish Online: http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines