• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any way to place styled word text into Indesign with mapping styles in "folders"

Explorer ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to place paragraph (and character) styled word text to indesign with same named styles which are grouped into folders?

I've been googling and duckducking but haven't found a trick.

I have a book id template with lots of paragraphstyles arranged in folders. That practice helps to find styles when using. But placing text is kind of nightmare because id only find styles in "root" level but doesn't find those in folders.

Sure you can mapping them manually, but having lots of styles  causes mismapping and correcting them takes time afterwards.

Is there a way to automatically find those "grouped" styles? See attached pngs of styles and how mapping works.

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it may be something that needs a feature/bug report. If it is a job that repeats can you save a preset? Would it work to save a preset? It is not apparent that it does also save custom mapping but as far as I have tested it does. This does not solve the problem but makes it easier to bear if it is a repeat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, thought so too (feature/bug). Luckily my client, the publishing company's editor, has tried to use same style names as their designer has made to indesign template. There's minor typos, but mainly the names are same.

I wish I should only map (match) those few styles if most of the styles would map automatic. I've tried to save a preset that helpd a little but retain mismappings I've made which would be avoided if application would do the hard job.

I've been an Indesign trainer, but haven't need or being aware that feature before that much as I need it now (placing text chapters several times to one template). "Ungrouping" the styles to the "root level" would make losing my nerves.

Haven't found a script or any other helper. Hoped there was a trick I haven't known before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry if this is obvious and I somehow missed it. Have you tried using the same style names in Word and InDesign? If so, does this work only when you don’t have folders? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, the paragraph and character style names are the same (there are lots of them). A few typos occurs, but they are not the problem. The problem is that I must map the word styles to indesign grouped styles manually and that is the situation where mismapping happens too often. That is because the style names are too alike.

Saving preset helps a little but doesn't work reliably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines