Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Arabic text no showing on epub - fixed layout

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys, 

I am using the latest version for Indesign , whenever i export the file to epub fixed layout it appears as below 

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 1.57.23 AM.png

I tried installing a previous version of indesigns but still the problem exists, I tried on 2015 version as well on my old machine, it worked better but still the alignment of the text is incorrect as you can see in the next picture, can anyone help?

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 9.19.57 AM.png

TOPICS
EPUB , Import and export , Publish online , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Hi Sarah,

This issue has been reported to Adobe as a bug, you may vote to grab InDesign's development team attention to this matter here… https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/41322403-arabic-exported-to-epub-fixed-layout-doesn-t-sho

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Hello,

thanks a lot for the advice, I do convert the arabic text to outline, and it works not the perfect method thought but at least it makes the pages readable

----------------------------

*Sarah Radwan**Designer*

[Personal information removed for your protection on a public forum]

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sarah,

This issue has been reported to Adobe as a bug, you may vote to grab InDesign's development team attention to this matter here… https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/41322403-arabic-exporte...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. Currently we are investigating this issue. Will it be possible for you to share a sample file? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. 

Also, could you please try opening Epub file in some other reader like Readium. Let us know if this helps or the issue still persists.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tested on Readium, the same results where Arabic text is missing and messed up similar to Adobe Digital Editions, and Apple Books.

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 9.27.45 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Srishti,

We still have the same issue for arabic text, the solution is to create outline, i hope this will be fixed soon.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue in exporting a Farsi book which exports to pdf and reflowable ePub. However, it does not export correctly to fixed layout ePub.

This is the document's first two pages in Indesign Arabic/English 2022 Version 17.1:

Indesign-book.jpg

The result when exported to ePub fixed layout looks like this:

epub-fixed.jpg

I was offered to have the pages rasterized into images. However, this idea is not a solution. If I wanted to create ePubs from images why would I learn and use Adobe Indesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I was offered to have the pages rasterized into images."

Hi Sarah,

sorry. Was under the false impression that you have the issue with Publish Online when looking for a workaround.

So I edited this reply!

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had to edit my reply. See above.

Sorry,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

thanks a lot for the advice, I do convert the arabic text to outline, and it works not the perfect method thought but at least it makes the pages readable

----------------------------

*Sarah Radwan**Designer*

[Personal information removed for your protection on a public forum]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sarah,

found a workaround for this without converting the Arabic text to outlines in InDesign.

First I thought this would be a solution for Publish Online issues only, but it really works for Fixed Layout EPUBs as well. Export to PDF, outline the text with Acrobat Pro, open and save the PDF with Illustrator to SVG, place the SVG with InDesign and export to FXL EPUB.

Details here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/farsi-rtl-book-does-not-export-to-epub/m-p/12806...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/farsi-rtl-book-does-not-export-to-epub/m-p/12806...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many steps but worth trying it. I'm always against outlining text regardless what language it is, however, in such circumstances where ePub fails to display Arabic, I certainly need to try your solution… thanks Uwe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zaid,

just to make it clear:

Are you working with the MENA version of InDesign that has an Arabic user interface?

Or do you see the export problems with FXL EPUB with the English version of InDesign that has all the MENA functionality?

I still do not know if the bug is with the MENA version.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using latest English with Arabic Support version of InDesign. There is no InDesign with Arabic interface. Having said that, my InDesign CS6 and early CC versions used to publish Arabic content to ePub fixed layout perfectly, I've done it so many times, it is just in later years (from 2018) I guess when this FXL ePub became corrupted if the content is Arabic, if however the content is in any Latin language, then the ePub successfully displays all content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines