• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are add-on stroke styles available?

Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to apply a nicely decorated frame stroke to a text box that is used as a dedication paragraph (for my wife) in a publication that I revise annually. When I originally created the text box in Quark over 15 years ago I used a nice one in that software, but unfortunately InDesign doesn't ship with or import those design elements, so I went with the "triple line" border at 3 points. Functional but not particularly decorative.

I'm not a good designer and can't really come up with one myself, I just want to add one in from some unknown-at-the-moment source. The stock frame styles in Illustrator aren't particularly nice looking either, but I'd rather it be something that changes size with the text box in InDesign, rather than a placed graphic. Is it possible to use add-in stroke styles, and if so, where could I find some simple yet elegant designs? I only need one.

Please and thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

There are a few hidden strokes built in, but I don't think these are what you are looking for

https://indesignsecrets.com/easter-egg-stroke-styles.php

Screenshot 2018-12-05 12.19.17.png

You can also make your own variations of the think-thin lines, and add a styled corner for extra effect.

Screenshot 2018-12-05 12.23.55.png

Not as fancy as what Quark had, but maybe it could work for you.

Otherwise, maybe you could find a stock image frame that you could use.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a Google search on "indesign stroke styles free download"

I see some things listed there but you'll have to look through the postings to see if they're what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few hidden strokes built in, but I don't think these are what you are looking for

https://indesignsecrets.com/easter-egg-stroke-styles.php

Screenshot 2018-12-05 12.19.17.png

You can also make your own variations of the think-thin lines, and add a styled corner for extra effect.

Screenshot 2018-12-05 12.23.55.png

Not as fancy as what Quark had, but maybe it could work for you.

Otherwise, maybe you could find a stock image frame that you could use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a nice style right there, but I have no idea how to create it (or anything like it). Obviously those options alone didn't make that fance effect. I'm using CS6, incidentally, so I don't know if I have all the stroke options that later versions have.

Yes, I could use a stock image frame, but my first preference is for a stroke style within InDesign rather than placing a vector image and scaling it to the text box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The corner effects have been available for several versions back. Look under Options >Corner Options.  

Screenshot 2018-12-05 15.17.08.png

For the stroke itself, there is a Stroke Styles menu - choose New, and you can click on the panel to and or drag to change the width of stroke sections.

Screenshot 2018-12-05 15.18.24.png Screenshot 2018-12-05 15.18.44.png Screenshot 2018-12-05 15.19.01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That one works quite nicely. I wish there were other similar choices, but that one will do for this application. Does anybody make a plugin or helper app that offers third party border styles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have the same problem, I need more line stroke Styles.
I've tried what the posts on this thread suggest. The Indesign options are not what I'm looking for.
I couldn't find any "styles to download".
in the Strike Styles dialoge, there is a "load" botton. Where can one find Styles to load?
what is the file format/extention of the loadable files?
In which program can one create them, or import existing ones?
Thank you all in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, I have the same problem, I need more line stroke Styles.

More ideas:

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines